PID problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
I just wired up a Mypin TA4 with an RTD and it's reading over 500 degrees F when it should be reading room temp. This isn't my first time wiring one of these so I'm pretty sure everything is correct. I even tried different RTD and wire but it didn't fix it. What could be causing it to be that high?

Have you set the input mode to RTD? Most PID's can use several different types of temp sensors, so have a setting for selecting the correct sensor type.

Brew on :mug:

The schematics for either the ta4 or ta7 were wrong but the sticker on the unit itself is right as far as wiring... im going to guess its still a wiring problem as many times when I see a thread like this, folks often chaulk it up to "cheap" components and buy another only to have the same results.. I went through this myself recently and it drove me nuts but I found that one of my sensor plugs was wired wrong at the aviation connector. (I looked at it twice prior and still missed it) I dont think I have honestly ever seen a thread where it was reported back that it was confirmed to be a bad pid..

not to go off topic but it would be really nice if there was a sticky to upload images of the proper wiring for the auber,mypin,inkbird and even rex pids often used by people here.. when I first built my first panel I had to google for days as it was confusing to me being new to pids and temp sensors at the time.. I see why so many get intimidated into spending 2 to 3 times more to have someone else assemble it and cheat themselves out of the knowledge and satisfaction that comes with being able to build and maintain your own equipment.

Do you have a jumper between pin 8, and pin 9 for the Ta4? Both of My Ta7's read -402, I used a wire jumper between pin 10 and pin 11, like above and that solved my problem.:rock:
Yes, the jumper is installed.

The schematics for either the ta4 or ta7 were wrong but the sticker on the unit itself is right as far as wiring... im going to guess its still a wiring problem as many times when I see a thread like this, folks often chaulk it up to "cheap" components and buy another only to have the same results.. I went through this myself recently and it drove me nuts but I found that one of my sensor plugs was wired wrong at the aviation connector. (I looked at it twice prior and still missed it) I dont think I have honestly ever seen a thread where it was reported back that it was confirmed to be a bad pid..

Do you have a jumper between pin 8, and pin 9 for the Ta4? Both of My Ta7's read -402, I used a wire jumper between pin 10 and pin 11, like above and that solved my problem.:rock:
Yes, the jumper wire is installed. As far as I can tell everything is wired correctly but I'll take another look before I order a new one.

Well I swapped out the PID with one from another panel that I knew worked fine and everything worked great so It was a bad PID.

I dont think I have honestly ever seen a thread where it was reported back that it was confirmed to be a bad pid..
Except for me..my Aubrins was working fine and then it wasn't..called aubrins to troubleshoot and they told me it was the pid and to have a nice day after a whopping 24 hours running time. Bought a Mypin and did nothing else but swap it and everything works fine...I'll never by Aubrins overpriced crap again

Except for me..my Aubrins was working fine and then it wasn't..called aubrins to troubleshoot and they told me it was the pid and to have a nice day after a whopping 24 hours running time. Bought a Mypin and did nothing else but swap it and everything works fine...I'll never by Aubrins overpriced crap again
I thought you also had temp probe wiring that shorted out though?

Well I stand corrected.

Latest posts

Back