Pid problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewmedic23

Reaction score
I've been having problems with my 2352 overshooting since I started using it about 10 brews ago. I've auto tuned it several times but it still continues to overshoot. I have a 15gal biab setup with 5500 watt element and recirculation pump. As soon as I get home, I'll post the p, I, & d values but at this point, all I use the pid for is manual control. Any suggestions?
I will post pictures of the setup when I get home from work later today.

are you sure you have the correct TC type configured?

how are you controlling the heating element? through an ssr?

The element is controlled by an SSR mounted on a heatsink. What do you mean by TC?
I purchased the probe from auberins and it seems to read the temp pretty accurately. I soldered the wires onto an XLR connector and havent had a problem. The probe is located about 1 foot above the bottom of the pot and is held in place by a compression fitting. The probe only goes into the pot about half an inch because of the BIAB setup and the wire basket stops the probe from pushing any farther in.
Here are all of the settings for my PID:
ALM1:220
ALM2:0
HY-1:2
HY-2:192
HY:0.3
AT:3
I:3000
P:1306
D:268
T:18
SN:21
DP:0
P-SL:70
P-SH:212
PB:3.0
OP-A:0
OUTT:0
OUTH:100
AL-P:10
COOL:10
ADDR:1
BAUD:9600
FILE:0
A-M:0
LOCK:808
EP1 - EP8:NONE

TC means Thermo Couple, which is the probe.

+1 for autotune. In your OP, you said you are using it. are the values you are posting here the result of that autotune? Don't mess with PID values unless you know what you are doing.

Also, are you able to mount the probe vertically somehow to get more of it in the pot?

Turns out it was the probe. Not long enough and in a bad location. Got a new one and auto tuned it and now it works great! Thanks for the help everyone:ban:

Back