PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 7 months of pico brewing it's now confirmed I am missing a part! LOL It's just a hose clamp but I've had wort go all over the place once before and found the hose disconnected. Never realized it was suppose to be clamped. Today I heard it pop off 5 minutes from the end of brewing and then there was a puddle of wort on the counter. This time I reminded them of my issue before (which occurred at the same time roughly as the failed shuttle pumo).

That's when they answered back that they are sending me a clamp. I am attaching the photo that I sent them so you all can check to see if you have a clamp on all 5 tubes that connect in the bottom next to the shuttle pump. The black clamps do not show up against the black plastic so I didn't notice the clamps on the other hoses.

image1.jpg

I am fermenting my first brew and keep hearing about the cold crashing to help the flavor...
Can someone please tell me what it entails? Looking for target temp and length of time.

I am fermenting my first brew and keep hearing about the cold crashing to help the flavor...
Can someone please tell me what it entails? Looking for target temp and length of time.

Cold crashing helps clarify the beer before racking to a serving keg. Estimates vary for the length of time but most say at least 48 hours. It simply involves place the brew keg in the refrigerator. I haven't ever heard of an exact temperature.

Cold crashing helps clarify the beer before racking to a serving keg. Estimates vary for the length of time but most say at least 48 hours. It simply involves place the brew keg in the refrigerator. I haven't ever heard of an exact temperature.

As close to 33F as you can get it

25% off High Heels Imperial IPA Pico pack with HIGHHEEL25 coupon.. Get two shipped for less than $40

Hello,

I'm beginner in Homebrew and recently received my Pico S.
I choosed the Fast Fermentation and put it at 78°F for 5 days like write in the manual.

To check if fermentation is complete, pull up on the fast fermentation adapter pressure relief valve once to release pressure inside the brewing keg. Within an hour, pull up on the pressure relief valve again. If you hear no rush of escaping CO₂ then your fermentation is complete. If you do hear escaping CO₂, then allow fermentation to continue for another day and attempt again the next day.

Yesterday, 5 days, I did the test write on PicoBrew FAQ and still had CO2 going out.
Today, 6 days, I did it again and still having a bit of Co2 going out.

Do you think it's normal?
Do I still have to wait?

Sorry for the question but I'm very new on homebrew

Thank you in advance for your help.

First of all, the timelines in the manual are almost never long enough. Ferment for twice as long as the manual says is a good safe rule of thumb. Second, the pull on the valve is not a good way to test if fermentation is complete. What happens is the FF valve keeps ~5psi on your keg during fermentation, this partially carbonates your beer. You pull the valve and release the headspace pressure, but then the co2 in solution equalizes and fills the headspace again. You have to repeat this about 5 times an hour apart to make the beer go flat in my experience. Not really worth messing with to me, just wait 10-14 days and your beer will be better. Since your a beginner I'm not sure how much of this thread you have read, but make sure you pitch 1 teaspoon of yeast, not the whole pack like the manual says. Good luck

Hello,

I'm beginner in Homebrew and recently received my Pico S.
I choosed the Fast Fermentation and put it at 78°F for 5 days like write in the manual.

Yesterday, 5 days, I did the test write on PicoBrew FAQ and still had CO2 going out.
Today, 6 days, I did it again and still having a bit of Co2 going out.

Do you think it's normal?
Do I still have to wait?

Sorry for the question but I'm very new on homebrew

Thank you in advance for your help.

Salut Sylvain,

Welcome to the world of brewing and the forum.
I find the fast fermentation term to be misleading. I'd call it hot fermentation. I go with 14 days fermentation until I get a Tilt to know for sure when fermentation is done. That's the method I have been using since started brewing in 1991 and has worked for me just fine. Like jrb said as well, the guide has timing I never followed neither. I use my Pico to make the wort, the unfermented "juice", and continue using my methods after that.
Also, again like jrb pointed out, the amount of yeast provided is more adequate for a 5gal batch, use 1 tsp instead.
Then comes the carbonation. chill your beer in a fridge before transferring it to a keg or bottles, for at least 48hrs. It will help getting a nice clearer beer. I you go with the natural carbonation with a priming sugar (the pouch of sugar provided in the kit) you wait another 14 days.

Good luck and read this long thread. Most questions are possibly answered here.

Cheers, A+

Thank you for all the answer.

I will do that and tell you how is the result.

Another question, I will do the carbonation with Co2 cartbridge.
24psi is good?
I guess when I will put it in the fridge with the Co2 cartbridge, the psi will go down, right?
I don't touch it or I have to try to keep it neer 24psi?

Thank you very much for your help

Getting ready to use Pico for the first time and I am watching the videos for rinsing, after brewing, etc and it calls for using clean tap water at various steps. I live outside the U.S. in an Eastern European country where the water is not potable. I have a distiller that I will be using for the distilled water and was wondering if I can just go ahead and use distilled water for the rinsing and other steps that call for tap water.

-Harry

Check your order screen on their website. It's showing up as 'shipment pending' for me. Have to think soon.

Did they get your clamp issue squared away?

yep, it's showing... and I did get an email right after I posted here., but no hint of a date or anything.

Got the clamp (actually they sent a spare) and it's installed, just waiting for some beer to brew! Although they have shipped me a pack of Annie's since I lost so much wort due to the tube coming off.

Why would Pico not offer these ferm monitors for sale (at any price) to present Pico C customers laying down over $600 for a Pico C + still?

How about the nasty cutoff shoved off on first time (cough) "supporters" regarding the availability of...
BrewKegs?
Servers?
Brewpak plans?
Kombucho Paks?

...any other 'freebie' announced at launch holding up waiting Pico C customers (paying much more for their Pico Cs/stills) from using these units as Pico apparently intended months from shelling out the big bucks to own one?

One can only hope that a home brew supply house or brewery is already 3-D printing a reusable PicoPak similar to the Keurig clones.

This home brewing concept will never get off the ground until brewers or supply houses give the PicoPak store a run for its money and begin dealing direct with the public on their 'superior' ingredients and cloned accessories.

...the mods are apparently formulating new policy regarding further still discourse here on the forum.

Not formulating new policy, but refining and clarifying existing policy, in light of a brewing system that also offers a distilling accessory. Discussion of alcohol distillation processes hasn't been, and will not be permitted on HBT.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

ForcedCompetition, you seem to be unaware of what a Kickstarter is. There are no Pico C customers. There are people who have placed small capital investments in Picobrew for the development of the Pico C et al who chose a heavily discounted Pico C sometime in the future as the return on their investment.

I honestly can't figure out whether the rest of your rant is complaining about future retail customers being delayed for Kickstarter backers or the other way around. It sounds like the former in your final paragraph, but then I don't know where you're coming from about the nasty cutoff on availability (WHAT nasty cutoff on availability?). I'm sure things will be delivered to backers a bit late (though it seems better than most KSes so far, I got mine on the very last day of the month of the earliest estimated delivery date), but the usual procedure is that if it push comes to shove retail gets priority and KS units get gradually fulfilled; see: uKeg.

Not formulating new policy, but refining and clarifying existing policy, in light of a brewing system that also offers a distilling accessory. Discussion of alcohol distillation processes hasn't been, and will not be permitted on HBT.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

i'd really like to defend (again) the fact that I did not discuss alcohol distillation or processes...but hey, perhaps being "John Dillinger/Public Enemy #1" up here would be more fun. :)

Doug simply stated the policy on distilling. Did not state you were discussing it. But that they are reviewing the policy to see how this fits in. Again, patience.

ForcedCompetition, you seem to be unaware of what a Kickstarter is. There are no Pico C customers. There are people who have placed small capital investments in Picobrew for the development of the Pico C et al who chose a heavily discounted Pico C sometime in the future as the return on their investment.

I honestly can't figure out whether the rest of your rant is complaining about future retail customers being delayed for Kickstarter backers or the other way around. It sounds like the former in your final paragraph, but then I don't know where you're coming from about the nasty cutoff on availability (WHAT nasty cutoff on availability?). I'm sure things will be delivered to backers a bit late (though it seems better than most KSes so far, I got mine on the very last day of the month of the earliest estimated delivery date), but the usual procedure is that if it push comes to shove retail gets priority and KS units get gradually fulfilled; see: uKeg.

"ForcedCompetition, you seem to be unaware of what a Kickstarter is. There are no Pico C customers. There are people who have placed small capital investments in Picobrew for the development of the Pico C et al who chose a heavily discounted Pico C sometime in the future as the return on their investment.."

...and you "seem to be unaware" that no Pico Cs (or stills) are even available on Kickstarter at this time. Indiegogo is both the present and proper (not to mention only) method of acquiring this product at a much less discounted rate (less zero accessories). Sorry to set the record straight or raise your awareness in such a matter of fact fashion. ;)

"..I honestly can't figure out whether the rest of your rant is complaining about future retail customers being delayed for Kickstarter backers or the other way around. It sounds like the former in your final paragraph, but then I don't know where you're coming from about the nasty cutoff on availability (WHAT nasty cutoff on availability?). I'm sure things will be delivered to backers a bit late (though it seems better than most KSes so far, I got mine on the very last day of the month of the earliest estimated delivery date), but the usual procedure is that if it push comes to shove retail gets priority and KS units get gradually fulfilled; see: uKeg".

Perhaps accusing someone of "ranting" versus simply relating or informing (as you yourself were just educated) would help with your understanding of this campaign as well.
Let's simplify:
More money paid per unit than your KS simplification..no accessories available to actually use said unit (properly) upon receipt (versus others who obviously can).. = first time (present) customers not necessarily impressed with one of the most successful crowd funding campaigns in history (in other words, no financial reason whatsoever to slap pre-launch customers with unneeded barriers).

If the above simplicity related for the 3rd or 4th time here amounts to a "rant"?

I'm probably just as guilty for buying that still and (mistakenly) admitting so as well. ;)

Doug simply stated the policy on distilling. Did not state you were discussing it. But that they are reviewing the policy to see how this fits in. Again, patience.

I thought that I was simply helping both you and members understand what was not apparent or being revealed publicly by simply repeating the mod's pm to me.

Believe me...I won't make that mistake again.

Let's simplify:
More money paid per unit than your KS simplification..no accessories available to actually use said unit (properly) upon receipt (versus others who obviously can).. = first time (present) customers not necessarily impressed with one of the most successful crowd funding campaigns in history (in other words, no financial reason whatsoever to slap pre-launch customers with unneeded barriers).

If the above simplicity related for the 3rd or 4th time here amounts to a "rant"?

I'm probably just as guilty for buying that still and (mistakenly) admitting so as well. ;)

To be fair, I've read all your posts on HBT and I still don't understand what your complaint is. Is your complaint that IndieGogo orders don't receive the same pricing/bonuses as Kickstarter orders? That the Pico C requires first party brew packs rather than allowing you to build your own? That they aren't selling the same suite of devices/options (fermentation monitors/brew unlimited subscriptions) on IndieGogo/the PicoBrew website that they did during the Kickstarter campaign?

Most companies offer limited time deals - some of which only exist for an extremely limited time (See: Black Friday). I absolutely love my Zymatic -- which I purchased over a year after the Kickstarter campaign was finished. In retrospect, I even kind of wish I bought a Pico C during the Kickstarter. Do I wish I could go back in time and purchase a Zymatic as part of the Kickstarter (or a Pico C, for that matter)? Of course -- but that's not reality. I missed the window, and thus I get to spend more if I still want it once it's released.

As it stands, I hope that the Pico C ends up being as successful a release as the Pico and Zymatic were, and that PicoBrew shows that they underpromised and overdelivered on the campaign. Sure - post launch the prices will go way up, but that's the tradeoff -- you get to buy a well tested & reviewed device as opposed to one that is still in production and may not deliver on the campaign promises.

For right now, however, I have yet to see them doing anything other than delivering on the promises they made during the Pico C Kickstarter - and thus I have nothing to fault them for.

...and you "seem to be unaware" that no Pico Cs (or stills) are even available on Kickstarter at this time. Indiegogo is both the present and proper (not to mention only) method of acquiring this product at a much less discounted rate (less zero accessories). Sorry to set the record straight or raise your awareness in such a matter of fact fashion. ;)
Fair enough.

ForcedCompetition, you seem to be unaware of what a KickstarterIndiegogo campaign is. There are no Pico C customers. There are people who have placed small capital investments in Picobrew for the development of the Pico C et al who chose a heavily discounted Pico C sometime in the future as the return on their investment.

I honestly can't figure out whether the rest of your rant is complaining about future retail customers being delayed for KickstarterIndiegogo campaign backers or the other way around. It sounds like the former in your final paragraph, but then I don't know where you're coming from about the nasty cutoff on availability (WHAT nasty cutoff on availability?). I'm sure things will be delivered to backers a bit late (though it seems better than most KSescrowdfunding campaigns so far, I got mine on the very last day of the month of the earliest estimated delivery date), but the usual procedure is that if it push comes to shove retail gets priority and KScrowdfunding campaign units get gradually fulfilled; see: uKeg.

OMG forced competition sorry but your posts make zero sense. You obviously have no idea what a kickstarter campaign is. This is a thread for Pico users to discuss using their machines. Please take your rants to your own thread, and do not discuss distilling in this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither one is a cleaner. They are sanitizers, and hydrogen peroxide isn't very effective.

I meant using Hydrogen peroxide to sanitize, not clean, sorry about that.

I don't know if I can get Star San where I'm located. How about something called BTF Iodophor?

I don't know if I can get Star San where I'm located. How about something called BTF Iodophor?

Iodophor should work fine, although I understand it's a bit messy. Here's a link on cleaners/sanitizers.
One of the experts here can probably tell you more.

Iodophor will work but is messy as O'Leary said. StarSan is more user friendly experience.

are you not in the US? Do you have a local brew supplier? They will have starsan. Of course none of that is relevent if you are not in the US. I doubt that Amazon will ship outside of the country but they do sell it.

Iodophor is great. In some ways better than StarSan since Iodophor kills wild yeast and StarSan doesn't.

"OMG forced competition sorry but your posts make zero sense. You obviously have no idea what a kickstarter campaign is.."

Congratulations. You are the 2nd poster attempting to insult my intelligence...while at the same time claiming that Pico Cs are presently sold on Kickstarter along with all the accessories needed. As with most forum posts and posters...they are rarely read thoroughly...nor understood for the same reason

"..This is a thread for Pico users to discuss using their machines. Please take your rants to your own thread, and do not discuss distilling in this one..."

'Again' (if you had bothered to read the OP's first post) this thread has taken on a life of its own as most often do. Admonishing me not to discuss 'distilling' in it (which I didn't) is akin to insisting that nobody claim that they invested in a Pico still (which is all that I did).

:off: (this must be a good share of folk's favorite icon) :confused:

Fair enough.

ForcedCompetition, you seem to be unaware of what a KickstarterIndiegogo campaign is. There are no Pico C customers. There are people who have placed small capital investments in Picobrew for the development of the Pico C et al who chose a heavily discounted Pico C sometime in the future as the return on their investment.

I honestly can't figure out whether the rest of your rant is complaining about future retail customers being delayed for KickstarterIndiegogo campaign backers or the other way around. It sounds like the former in your final paragraph, but then I don't know where you're coming from about the nasty cutoff on availability (WHAT nasty cutoff on availability?). I'm sure things will be delivered to backers a bit late (though it seems better than most KSescrowdfunding campaigns so far, I got mine on the very last day of the month of the earliest estimated delivery date), but the usual procedure is that if it push comes to shove retail gets priority and KScrowdfunding campaign units get gradually fulfilled; see: uKeg.

Let's simplify it for you:

All previously available accessory availability has been cut off for the Pico C.
My appeals to Pico have ignored questions surrounding same.
It's that simple and not an insulting (you) "rant".
Why I explain this (again/multiple times) to those who don't bother to read my posts and who are quick to insult is beyond me.

If anyone is a potential Pico C (or "+ still combo" if I can still say that) customer?...they might just want to have that information in hand before investing (period).

I'm beginning to believe in my older age that simple 'knowledge' is certainly a gift that many folks out there have a whole lot of trouble handling...

Question:

What does a 'used' PicoPak look like or how much integrity is left in the packaging after a cycle?
If you lightly rinsed and didn't care about cross-contanimation..could you reuse it with your own ingredients (even once while still moist)?

If one were to guess...which brewing supply house or upstart brewery will be the first to market with
universal (reusable) Paks and/or their own "fill-your-own" vacuum packed ingredients?

PicoPaks aren't going to be reusable for a couple of reasons. A) They're designed to be biodegradeable and if you do try a refill and the pak ruptures, the grain is going to clog a valve and you'll have wort all over your floor. But you can't really risk that anyway because B) the Paks have an RFID tag which is scanned by the machine to get the brew instructions from Pico, and these don't appear to be generic. Pico knows what you're brewing and that's how they're enforcing the limit of 2-at-a-time for BrewUnlimited.

Since you've now included enough information that we can figure out what you're talking about, here's some of the retail pricing for accessories, taken directly from public info on the KS page and their existing online store:
Picoferm's MSRP appears to be $89 ("2 PicoFerm smart fermentation monitors for just $100 ($178 retail MSRP).")
Brewing kegs: They sell ball lock kegs for $99.99, Pico C's proprietary keg is supposed to be cheaper than a ball lock keg.
Serving kegs: $14.99
Kombucha paks: $14.99
Completely unsure about BrewUnlimited MSRP, that's the only thing Pico has 0 public information about.

So that's what you're looking at for costs if you want to buy additional hardware to supplement the brew keg and serving keg it comes with. For comparison, Amazon has "equivalent" brew kegs for about $89. I have a few cheaper ball locks but the one I got from Picobrew is definitely the highest-quality keg I own.

Latest posts

Back