PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone using a keg carbonation lid with diffusion stone? I wonder if it really works. I can never seem to get more than 22 psi with the darn regulator with 16g cartridges and result in ok carbonation at best. I am converting my regulators for ball lock and accept paint ball bottles as well. I wonder if the lid and stone are useful at all.

Finally figured out a use for the serving keg. I'll use the one from kickstarter on the right side. Probably won't last but until then it beats sitting on a shelf...

IMG_0012a.jpg

Finally figured out a use for the serving keg. I'll use the one from kickstarter on the right side. Probably won't last but until then it beats sitting on a shelf...

You mean as a tap handle sign replacement? Yeah... takes some space but it does look good. I like the idea thinking of it. I could split it in two, and fix the keg face to the wall where the tap would be. Maybe put a light behind it too. Thanks for the idea!

Anyone using a keg carbonation lid with diffusion stone? I wonder if it really works. I can never seem to get more than 22 psi with the darn regulator with 16g cartridges and result in ok carbonation at best. I am converting my regulators for ball lock and accept paint ball bottles as well. I wonder if the lid and stone are useful at all.

No I've never used one, but have looked into it recently. Seem to get mixed reviews. I like the set it at serving pressure method, not a fan of dialing pressure up and down. Though the stone could speed the carb up a bit but decided to just keep doing it my way.

i have the blichman quickcarb it works great. i dont think i will use it on these small batches though.

No I've never used one, but have looked into it recently. Seem to get mixed reviews. I like the set it at serving pressure method, not a fan of dialing pressure up and down. Though the stone could speed the carb up a bit but decided to just keep doing it my way.

What do you set it at and for how long?

i have the blichman quickcarb it works great. i dont think i will use it on these small batches though.

So you don't use the quick carb at all on the pico batches. Do you carb in the serving kegs or brewing/real kegs? If so, at what pressure and for how long?

I'm looking at an even diffusion as well. Maybe the issue is carbing at high pressure. I'm used to natural carbonation with priming sugar, and bottling. Kegs are new to me. I find that on some batches, the carbonation is low, even if it sat at 12 psi for a week.

The downside I see, once in, and carbed, you probably don't want to swap the lids to carb another keg. I'd need 1 per serving keg.

What do you set it at and for how long?

I use the Pico ball lock kegs in a kegerator, I've never used the mini regulator to carbonate. I set my regulator at 12 psi and leave it there to serve and carbonate. Takes about 5-7 days for a Pico batch. When I used to do 5 or 3 gallon batches those would take a little longer 10 days or so. I'm not a fan of raising the pressure to carb faster, over carbing is possible and a pain. Plus I have a single pressure regulator with a 4 tap manifold. But I always have a good pipeline of beer going. Usually not in a hurry.

So you don't use the quick carb at all on the pico batches. Do you carb in the serving kegs or brewing/real kegs? If so, at what pressure and for how long?

I just started using the pico brew so I have not had the opportunity to use the quick carb. I will in a couple of weeks once I have a fully fermented beer to use it on. On my zymatic brews I use it all the time. there is a chart that comes with it that matches temperatures and beer type. Generally you set it to 13-14 psi and let it run for an hour and its done. I highly recommend it.

Hey guys, I've been reading the thread for a few hours, but have many more to go to catch up, so I am sure this question has been answered, and I apologize.

I have the "Pro" (two 1.75g kegs) system, and a kegerator. My room ambient temps are around 75-77 degrees. Is it worth getting a keg warmer and controller to fast ferment at lower temperatures in my kegerator, or is just leaving it on the counter just as good? If so, can a seedling mat handle keeping a keg at the proper temperature in a kegerator that is at around 35-38 degrees?

I would not try to heat a fermenting keg inside a kegerator you're also trying to serve cold beer out of. You would basically be putting your kegerator into a continuous loop of coo,bug trying to overcome the heating of the fermenting keg. Fast ferment on the countertop for now as long as rock temps are under say 75* or so. In the future you can rig up a small dorm fridge with a term controller to have a mini term chamber that could probably hold a few pico kegs in it.

I'm looking at an even diffusion as well. Maybe the issue is carbing at high pressure. I'm used to natural carbonation with priming sugar, and bottling. Kegs are new to me. I find that on some batches, the carbonation is low, even if it sat at 12 psi for a week.

The downside I see, once in, and carbed, you probably don't want to swap the lids to carb another keg. I'd need 1 per serving keg.

Something to note is that fermenting at warmer temps result in less CO2 in the finished beer before further force carbonation.... so those batches where you think they are undercarbed may be because they were fermented at bit warmer? It's less of an issue when you ferment in the 60's under controlled temps. Depending on beer style I shoot for 12-15 psi for. Out of my 5gal batches and I do the set it and forget it method, leaving some beers to sit under carb for a few eeeks before I really tap into them. When you have more than one beer in your pipeline this is much easier to do.

I've been kegging for a long time, while I've occasionally done the fast huh pressure force carb, I've found it quite difficult (for me) to get consistent repeatable results and not overcarb... ymmv.

I would not try to heat a fermenting keg inside a kegerator you're also trying to serve cold beer out of. You would basically be putting your kegerator into a continuous loop of coo,bug trying to overcome the heating of the fermenting keg. Fast ferment on the countertop for now as long as rock temps are under say 75* or so. In the future you can rig up a small dorm fridge with a term controller to have a mini term chamber that could probably hold a few pico kegs in it.

Hrmm, but isn't fermenting in the kegerator exactly how the kegsmarts system works? I asked Picobrew about forcing the kegerator into a cooling loop issue and they said their thermal wraps prevent that from happening.

As an alternative to paintball tanks you may want to also look into Sodastream tanks, which can be much easier to find at any Bed Bath and Beyond, usually cousins available and it's a drop off empty, pick up full sort of deal versus someone filling the paintball tank and you counting in them knowing what they are doing and not shorting you gas. I've seen adapters for sodastream tanks with most of the big online homebrew retailers I think.

Hrmm, but isn't fermenting in the kegerator exactly how the kegsmarts system works? I asked Picobrew about forcing the kegerator into a cooling loop issue and they said their thermal wraps prevent that from happening.

Yes, the kegsmarts allows you to ferment at whatever temp you want in your cold kegerator. Works great. I do about half and half controled 65' temp in kegerator or my controlled chest freezer if my kegerator is full, and the other half of the time I ferment with the FF valve at room temp 73'. With liquid yeast the room temp has been fine, with the US05 dry yeast not so much. Your talking about a little warmer, I can just say 73 works for me. If you want to spend the $ the kegsmarts is a very nice system. You could rig up a small chest freezer or mini fridge with an inkbird controller for a lot less. Or you can try the countertop with FF and see how you like the results. Experimenting is half the fun for me.

As an alternative to paintball tanks you may want to also look into Sodastream tanks, which can be much easier to find at any Bed Bath and Beyond, usually cousins available and it's a drop off empty, pick up full sort of deal versus someone filling the paintball tank and you counting in them knowing what they are doing and not shorting you gas. I've seen adapters for sodastream tanks with most of the big online homebrew retailers I think.

The paintball tanks are dirt cheap to refill though. I get them filled for like $4. Soda stream is much more pricey. I guess it depends on what's available around you but I live pretty remote and it's easier to fill the paintball tanks for me.

Thanks for the tip. I saw the sodastream one, but I have a filling station in town, and they fill everything from oxygen for the hospitals to fire extinguishers, and nitrox/tri-mix/heliox for diving. At $23 for 24oz bottles, they are both compact and cheap enough to fill that a 5lbs tank makes no sense for me at this point. Refills are $8 for up to 30oz.

If I did not have 2-3 good reliable alternatives to fill CO2, I would have considered sodastream.

Yes, the kegsmarts allows you to ferment at whatever temp you want in your cold kegerator. Works great. I do about half and half controled 65' temp in kegerator or my controlled chest freezer if my kegerator is full, and the other half of the time I ferment with the FF valve at room temp 73'. With liquid yeast the room temp has been fine, with the US05 dry yeast not so much. Your talking about a little warmer, I can just say 73 works for me. If you want to spend the $ the kegsmarts is a very nice system. You could rig up a small chest freezer or mini fridge with an inkbird controller for a lot less. Or you can try the countertop with FF and see how you like the results. Experimenting is half the fun for me.

Room temperature is too high at my place for lagers even in the FF range. I will have to put those in my small bar fridge for fermentation. Otherwise, room temp for me worked fine. Even borderline too warm at times. Maybe that's why carbonation was low on that batch....?

The paintball tanks are dirt cheap to refill though. I get them filled for like $4. Soda stream is much more pricey. I guess it depends on what's available around you but I live pretty remote and it's easier to fill the paintball tanks for me.

Yep, sodastream are $12-$20 for swapping. The fact that you don't need to really own the bottles and just replace them is nice in a way (no need to get them tested) but not at that price.

When I get the opportunity to build a kegerator/keezer (or both), I'll plan getting the manifold and larger tank. But I believe I will keep the small kegs, modified regulator and paintball tanks for parties and camping. It's compact enough.

Anyone else combining batches of brew into a larger keg for fermentation/serving ? How many and what keg size?

Room temperature is too high at my place for lagers even in the FF range. I will have to put those in my small bar fridge for fermentation. Otherwise, room temp for me worked fine. Even borderline too warm at times. Maybe that's why carbonation was low on that batch....?

Yep, sodastream are $12-$20 for swapping. The fact that you don't need to really own the bottles and just replace them is nice in a way (no need to get them tested) but not at that price.

When I get the opportunity to build a kegerator/keezer (or both), I'll plan getting the manifold and larger tank. But I believe I will keep the small kegs, modified regulator and paintball tanks for parties and camping. It's compact enough.

Anyone else combining batches of brew into a larger keg for fermentation/serving ? How many and what keg size?

Good point. Don't try to do a lager at room temp.

If I do double batches of same brew I ferment them seperate then combine in 3 gallon keg for serving. Doing them seperate is less cleaning and sanitizing and I'm lazy, and have a lot of kegs. You could certainly combine them to a 5 gallon keg or carboy or better bottle, etc if you wanted.

I'd get a primary fermentation frig, but I live in a tiny apartment and already fill half of it up with a loud 4 barrel commercial kegerator haha, So I really need to be able to use the space I have already dedicated to this craft so I dont like like a crazy person.

I'd rather not spend hundreds on the kegsmarts system because it does way more than I need. Is there any reason I can't replicate the results with a seedling mat, PID controller, and a keg koozie/wrap?

I'd get a primary fermentation frig, but I live in a tiny apartment and already fill half of it up with a loud 4 barrel commercial kegerator haha, So I really need to be able to use the space I have already dedicated to this craft so I dont like like a crazy person.

I'd rather not spend hundreds on the kegsmarts system because it does way more than I need. Is there any reason I can't replicate the results with a seedling mat, PID controller, and a keg koozie/wrap?

I can't say I've never tried it. The kegsmarts warmer is a insulated heat jacket. It covers every inch of the keg with the heat mat. I don't know what a seedling mat is, if it's something the keg sits on I don't see that working.

I can't say I've never tried it. The kegsmarts warmer is a insulated heat jacket. It covers every inch of the keg with the heat mat. I don't know what a seedling mat is, if it's something the keg sits on I don't see that working.

They are used as bottle warmers, you wrap the mat around the keg, and cover with an insulator.

They are used as bottle warmers, you wrap the mat around the keg, and cover with an insulator.

That might work then. Would probably want a thermal well in the keg for the temp probe.

Sure, last winter, I had tried one. Personally, I used it only once, but it could work fine. My seedling mat cover the beg, but 1". That's where I inserted the probe. Then this was inserted in a neoprene bag. I collected 4 Heineken bags with handles that came with mini kegs. The same material the picobrew company uses for the brewing sleeve, but in bag format, and green. You set the target temp on the PID and make sure the temperature probe is centred on height of the keg, and wedged between the neoprene and the keg. I spot checked with a light thermometer, and the strip thermometer on the keg, all 3 matched close enough. There's no heat you feel externally from this, so I don't see why you would not put that in a fridge as well. The seedling mat controller I used increases the temp by only 10 to 20 degrees. If the fridge is cool enough, you could FF a lager as well in theory. I don't seem to find any pictures, but worst case I can set it up if you'd like.

Sure, last winter, I had tried one. Personally, I used it only once, but it could work fine. My seedling mat cover the beg, but 1". That's where I inserted the probe. Then this was inserted in a neoprene bag. I collected 4 Heineken bags with handles that came with mini kegs. The same material the picobrew company uses for the brewing sleeve, but in bag format, and green. You set the target temp on the PID and make sure the temperature probe is centred on height of the keg, and wedged between the neoprene and the keg. I spot checked with a light thermometer, and the strip thermometer on the keg, all 3 matched close enough. There's no heat you feel externally from this, so I don't see why you would not put that in a fridge as well. The seedling mat controller I used increases the temp by only 10 to 20 degrees. If the fridge is cool enough, you could FF a lager as well in theory. I don't seem to find any pictures, but worst case I can set it up if you'd like.

Hmm, so are you saying your solution only raised the temperature of the wort by 10-20 degrees max? If So, that wouldn't really work in a kegerator at 35 degree then unless it was a lager I guess.

Pictures of your setup would be great, don't go to any special trouble though.

The Picobrew Kegsmarts can keep one keg warmer in a fermentation chamber.

Hmm, so are you saying your solution only raised the temperature of the wort by 10-20 degrees max? If So, that wouldn't really work in a kegerator at 35 degree then unless it was a lager I guess.

Pictures of your setup would be great, don't go to any special trouble though.

That was using a seedling mat. Check the specs, I don't know seedling mats that increase by much more. And I got mine for lagers indeed. I ferment my ales outside the fridge. Maybe a keg warmer at higher current will work better for your application.

Made my first few batches. Used the reduced yeast pitch protocol per the thread for US05. Upon racking almost no trub (thru the racking tube). Normal? Uncarbed product tasted good so I guess I'm not too worried, but I did expect some. Got none both times.

Made my first few batches. Used the reduced yeast pitch protocol per the thread for US05. Upon racking almost no trub (thru the racking tube). Normal? Uncarbed product tasted good so I guess I'm not too worried, but I did expect some. Got none both times.

You may not see it but there's a lot of yeast with the first draw off the keg. Sounds like you gave it a good cold crash which compacts the trub pretty tight. Some beers produce more than others. I wouldn't skip the step, but I only pour off for a few seconds, collecting it in a glass to sample.

You may not see it but there's a lot of yeast with the first draw off the keg. Sounds like you gave it a good cold crash which compacts the trub pretty tight. Some beers produce more than others. I wouldn't skip the step, but I only pour off for a few seconds, collecting it in a glass to sample.

I did indeed cold crash after about 9 or 10 days of letting it ride. Thanks for the reassurance.

How does the process work to keep the brew keg as your serving keg? Do you re-rack or transfer back?
I just got mine and was highly suggested (with a CO2 setup) to keep it in the brew keg. Just don't know the process.

You need a second clean and sanitized keg to rack to, which can be the included serving keg or a second brew keg. The brew kegs with a proper tap and co2 setup are easier and more enjoyable to use. But the serving keg is serviceable especially starting out until you have more brew kegs.

Looks like there's a bunch of new paks in the store - too bad for me I'm still waiting for the go ahead on the brew unlimited...

For the KS Backers, Pico just announced:
1) More $100 upgrades from Pico C to Pico S (100 total available)
2) If you already upgraded from Pico C to Pico S, for $100 more you can upgrade to the Pico Pro.

Wow...what a KS...

Hey All

Super stoked to be back brewing after a hiatus with work and toddler, but I definitely think PICO has opened up the way!

Greatly appreciate all the info here and jumped in with both feet which even included getting a kegerator setup. Thanks for all the posts JRB03, actually bought one on sale from bestbuy Canada and thanks to your posts have figured out what it means to balance my beer lines and set up a a manifold so I can force carb at 12 PSI as you described.

I have already started a couple brews (Little Ripa and Cinderblock CDA) and suspect I have run into an issue with incomplete or stalled fermentation. Both SG were decent to start, 1.067 and 1.061, split a vial of WLP 060 yeast between them and let them 'fast ferment' for 13-14 days at 74f before crash cooling for 2 days. I did dry hop both after 4 days and kept them in a 'water bath' to keep the temp constant throughout the whole process. When I transferred today to carbonate my SG was much higher than expected at 1.037 and 1.027, and although both tasted pretty amazing compared to anything I have brewed over the years, they were sweeter than expected.

Not sure if anyone has some suggestions so I can limit the issue with my next batch (have a Peculiar fast fermenting now) ? I only recently swapped to liquid yeast in my last few brews because I didn't like some of the off flavours I was getting with the dry yeast and suspect that might be part of the issue.

What were you using to take the gravity readings? Sounds like refractometer readings, which need to be run through a correction calculator for accurate FG readings.

Glad your back to brewing, sounds like your down the same road as me! Loving the Pico.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. With the proper conversion the ABV works out to 6.62 and 6.78 for the two I have brewed so far.

Thanks!

I am trying to figure out if I like my pico compared to the zymatic. First two batches in the pico were very good but for a little over a gallon of beer it's gone so quick and it's not that much of a time saver over the zymatic in terms of hands on. The zymatic to me is the best of everything. If I didn't own a zymatic I wouldn't question how terrific the pico is but I find myself after 5 brews on the pico wanting to go back to my zymatic. Once again this is not a criticism of the pico it is a great machine for what it is, it's just gets rid of all the creativity of beer making and you are stuck with so little beer that with a couple of buddies it's gone in an hour. If you really want to get into the hobby the pico is a great start but to me it's not a final destination.

Latest posts

Back