Picnic taps - new kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just recently started kegging, had a brown ale carbing in my chest freezer at about 40, and 11psi for a week or so. I went to pour some last night and I got a ton of foam... I shut off the gas and it came out slowly but no more foam.

Should I bleed the pressure before I slap on my picnic tap/liquid Ball lock? If so, can I use a low pressure to push it after, or is just the residual pressure sufficient and then turn the gas back on when finished?

Sorry if this is a totally dumb question but I was googling around and not really coming up with anything but carbonation methods and pressure levels and times for achieving that.

Picnic taps can be a bit tricky. The lines are usually short for starters, which lends itself to being a foam machine. I've found that ideally tap lines should be 10-12 feet (given roughly that temp and pressure), as opposed the the 3 feet most picnic taps are. The only solution to that problem really is to either extend the beer line, or turn the pressure down when serving.

Also, when dispensing make sure you are opening up the tap full-throttle. If you try to slow the flow by only partially opening the tap, it's going to foam up every time.

Picnic taps can be a bit tricky. The lines are usually short for starters, which lends itself to being a foam machine. I've found that ideally tap lines should be 10-12 feet (given roughly that temp and pressure), as opposed the the 3 feet most picnic taps are. The only solution to that problem really is to either extend the beer line, or turn the pressure down when serving.

Also, when dispensing make sure you are opening up the tap full-throttle. If you try to slow the flow by only partially opening the tap, it's going to foam up every time.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back