Picking this up tomorrow. Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaGanj

Reaction score
Picking this up from another local homebrewer.

Thought the price was really more than fair.

175$ (CAN)
Floor wine corker
Bottle capper
3 glass carboys
1 primary pail
Mixing spoons, syphon, tubing
6 air locks
Hydrometer
Buon vino minijet wine filter
(With an unopened pack of filters)

Any good recipes for a new brewer to fill his carboys with?

[emoji485][emoji485]
Screenshot_2018-11-14-14-06-26.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-11-14-15-22-46.jpeg

I'm not sure how much brew buckets and carboys are in Canada, but here's my opinion.

I have that exact Buon Vino mini jet and while it does result in a good filtration, it is a pain in the backside, leaks out the sides of the plates and makes quite a mess. You really need it to be very clear to start with, then use each step of filtration. Pads are very expensive for being single use and made of what seems to be paper.....so you need 3 packs (3 sets of 3) to filter one batch. I quit using mine a long time ago because of the expense and mess. Depending on how clear or cloudy the wine, you might lose 1/2 to 1 gallon in the process of filtering all 3 stages. Sometimes I only lost a quart, others I lost the full gallon....tightened more, still leaks at the plates.

I'm not sure how much brew buckets and carboys are in Canada, but here's my opinion.

I have that exact Buon Vino mini jet and while it does result in a good filtration, it is a pain in the backside, leaks out the sides of the plates and makes quite a mess. You really need it to be very clear to start with, then use each step of filtration. Pads are very expensive for being single use and made of what seems to be paper.....so you need 3 packs (3 sets of 3) to filter one batch. I quit using mine a long time ago because of the expense and mess. Depending on how clear or cloudy the wine, you might lose 1/2 to 1 gallon in the process of filtering all 3 stages. Sometimes I only lost a quart, others I lost the full gallon....tightened more, still leaks at the plates.
Hey there! Thanks for your review of the wine filter! It was actually my understanding that you usually dont even want to filter wine unless it absolutely necessary.

My first batch has been sitting around a while now and its almost crystal clear.

I figured a filter like this may be good for some ciders or things that typically never clear on their own. How do think it would fare for something like that? (Leaks aside)

[emoji485][emoji485]

Hey there! Thanks for your review of the wine filter! It was actually my understanding that you usually dont even want to filter wine unless it absolutely necessary.

My first batch has been sitting around a while now and its almost crystal clear.

I figured a filter like this may be good for some ciders or things that typically never clear on their own. How do think it would fare for something like that? (Leaks aside)

[emoji485][emoji485]

I think it would work OK. I'd go a bit higher on starting volume so the loss doesn't hurt so much.

In my experience filtering didn't change the flavor but I only filtered whites a few times, but I did taste filtered vs unfiltered.

My main point was that it's only a good deal if you really want the filter. If you keep an eye on craigslist or facebook marketplace, you might find carboys for $20.....a lot of people are getting rid of them for safety and lifting weight reasons.

I think it would work OK. I'd go a bit higher on starting volume so the loss doesn't hurt so much.

In my experience filtering didn't change the flavor but I only filtered whites a few times, but I did taste filtered vs unfiltered.

My main point was that it's only a good deal if you really want the filter. If you keep an eye on craigslist or facebook marketplace, you might find carboys for $20.....a lot of people are getting rid of them for safety and lifting weight reasons.
I wasn't in a big hurt for a wine filter, but the seller was pretty keen on not splitting things up. So i figured oh what the hell. But my biggest interest was yes, the 3 glass 6oz carboys, and the floor corker. The rest as extra isnt too bad for the price from where im living though.

Picking this up from another local homebrewer.

Thought the price was really more than fair.

175$ (CAN)
Floor wine corker IMO New = $75 US new. so maybe $50
Bottle capper $5
3 glass carboys $0 because they are glass
1 primary pail Used - $5
Mixing spoons, syphon, tubing Used $10
6 air locks Used $2
Hydrometer Used $6
Buon vino minijet wine filter Based on other replies - pass or $10
(With an unopened pack of filters)

Any good recipes for a new brewer to fill his carboys with?

[emoji485][emoji485]View attachment 597789View attachment 597790

So, I would offer about $88 US.

For recipes I use HBT recipes, and Northern Brewer. The list the recipes for each kit under the Recipe kit instructions tab.
Beersmith has a lot of recipes and is what I use to modify NB kit recipes to work with my ingredients and brewing rig.

I wasn't in a big hurt for a wine filter, but the seller was pretty keen on not splitting things up. So i figured oh what the hell. But my biggest interest was yes, the 3 glass 6oz carboys, and the floor corker. The rest as extra isnt too bad for the price from where im living though.

Too late on my reply, but IMO, not much of a bargain.... Especially glass carboys..... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/broken-glass-carboy-horror-stories-compendium.376523/

HBT’s sister site winemakingtalk.com has some good recipes. Skeeter pee and Danger Dave’s Dragon Blood are a couple of favorites.

Too late on my reply, but IMO, not much of a bargain.... Especially glass carboys..... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/broken-glass-carboy-horror-stories-compendium.376523/
I can tell that you and others obviously feel glass carboys hold no value, but unfortunately the seller does. (And so do i to be honest)

Carboys, glass or PET, are about 10-20 used in my area. However youd be very lucky to find PET.

I'm sure in 20-30 years ill have to switch to PET carboys for the weight difference. I don't mind getting my time in with the glass while my back allows it. [emoji23]

Cheers! [emoji485]

HBT’s sister site winemakingtalk.com has some good recipes. Skeeter pee and Danger Dave’s Dragon Blood are a couple of favorites.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Ill definitely check those recipes out, and give that site a browse.

[emoji485][emoji485]

Also check out allinonewinepump.com
Steve is the owner. Great guy. Fast service and he’ll call you if you shoot him an email. I have one and love it.

image.jpg

Now that you mention it... another batch ready to be bottled.
One of my favorites.

Back