Piña Colada Beer? Recipe help needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSpang

Reaction score
Hey there parrot heads! I was drinking a Pina Colada by the poolside the other day and decided that I would rather be drinking a beer... Then I though, why not both? I decided to come up with a recipe that would come REALLY close to the taste of this mixed drink.

However, truth be told, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. So I could use some help!

Some things I want the beer to accomplish:

- Be higher in ABV (7-9%)
- Be refreshing while having some residual sugars and mouthfeel
- Drink like a beer but taste like a piña colada

So here's what I'm thinking so far: I make a base beer that is pretty malty and sweet, yet drinkable. The first thing that came to mind was Irish Reds, Imperial Stouts, and Brown Ales (Surly Bender, yum), yet all of those beers have some flavors/colors that just wouldn't work for a piña colada in my opinion. So I kind of went in reverse and thought that maybe a beer that wouldn't necessarily fit inside a certain style by itself but would lend itself to my criteria I listed above. Here's what I came up with so far:

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 274.58 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.082 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.020 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 11.7 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 8.12% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 45.8 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
10.0 lb American 2-row
2.0 lb Munich Malt
1.0 lb White Wheat Malt
1.0 lb Carapils®/Carafoam®
.5 lb Crystal 30
2.0 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 m
1.0 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added first wort, boiled 30 m
1.0 lb Lactose - added during boil, boiled 10 m
.5 lb Coconut (flaked) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 m
1 lb Coconut (flaked) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.5 lb Pineapple (fresh) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Notes
Mash @ 153-154
Add 5 oz rum @ bottling

I have a few questions:

- Is the base recipe absolutely awful?
- Is there way too much coconut/pineapple? Not enough?
- Is 154 too high? Low?
- Should I toast the coconut or use a different type of coconut to reduce the oils in the beer?

Any help would be appreciated! The final recipe will be scaled down to a 1 or 2 gallon experimental batch. :ban:

I think you should brew an untraditional Imperial Weizenbock with some haze to it. Incorporate coconut rum, shredded unsweetened coconut, pineapple, and lots of late Citra hops. Kind of like the Schneider Weiss version but without the fruity/apple/banana focus.

I think you should brew an untraditional Imperial Weizenbock with some haze to it. Incorporate coconut rum, shredded unsweetened coconut, pineapple, and lots of late Citra hops. Kind of like the Schneider Weiss version but without the fruity/apple/banana focus.

Not a bad idea. I like the idea of using Citra, too. It'll give it some nice tropical fruit flavors that would meld well with the coconut/pineapple. When I get home I'll tinker around with the recipe a bit more

Latest posts

Back