Photos from your Youth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me circa 1st grade, so like 1990-1991.

The only reason I happen to have this on my phone is, my coworkers have this theory that I have a horde of illegitimate children running around the area. One guy's neighbor has a son that he thinks looks like me. Then someone else's friend's sister's son looks like me, and so on. I had to bring in a pic of Young Me for comparison.

I should be so lucky to have ever gotten around that much.

View attachment 1422037241720.jpg

I'll add in this one for all you non-Southerners! I have a few friends from the east coast, and every year they're taken aback by our use of the Homecoming "mum." Supposedly folks outside the South don't have Homecoming mums? Circa 2000-2001. I'm in the middle with the cap on.

Going through these photos are hilarious because I don't look anything like this anymore!
Cutie!
Is it a Southern thing? I thought it was just Texas...

Bwa hahahaha... best wallpaper ever.

0123051543.jpg

I guess now you know why I'm doing a single tier electric build. Can't lift the damm HLT above my head anymore......

06-01-1942.jpg

Here's me playing with bubbles in Grandma's kitchen sink in maybe 1978.

Years later, someone snapped a picture of my little cousin doing the exact same thing in the exact same position, with the same red dishpan, so I put the two pictures together in a hinged frame for Grandma. She was pretty touched.

When Grandma passed, the only thing I wanted from the house was the crockery cookie jug in the background. It's on my kitchen counter near the sink now.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422098718.819505.jpg

Me and my 1962 VW Camper Deluxe Special in 1974.

The campers were pretty cool. You could stuff a corvair "suitcase" engine in one and they'd really go.

It's increidible how much old VW's are worth now, considering you once could get them for nearly a song.

I had a 1967 VW Fast Back, and two Square Backs a '68 and a '71. All these vehicles would go in the snow like nobody's business. I had a set of studded snow tires I'd swap on when we'd get a big snow (I know, bad me). Unbelievable ability ... they had basically a belly pan on them that would allow them to glide over the snow a bit like a snow mobile, they were all rear engined with rear wheel drive, and with the studs I could drive them in snow where my tires could not touch ground and did fine. Also, the squarebacks had onboard furnaces. Because vw's were air-cooled, and had no coolant to operate a heater system, if you wanted decent heat you had to have a little furnace onboard that had a firebox/chamber, run by a sparkplug and it's own fuel line from the gas tank. More than toasty, actually a bit too much sometimes. Got the Fastback from my grandmother. Bot the squarebacks because I worked, once upon a time, at a big restoration shop that did all kinds of conversions and restorations, and that did a lot of custom VW's ... corvair engines etc etc.

One more.

2000 or so. The University of Wisconsin Law School totally highjacked a tradition from Harvard. At Homecoming, the third year students run from one end zone to the other, then we throw canes over the goalpost. Legend has it if you catch your cane, you win your first case. If you drop your cane, you work for the government.

This is me right after I dropped my cane. Won my first trial, though.

Homecoming 2000 (2).jpg

That's an amusing bumpersticker on the VW.

At first I thought it said "To All Vegans, Thanks for Nothing". I thought to myself ... "well now, that's refreshingly ahead of it's time! Isn't it?"

Did you also notice the quart of Stroh's sitting on the bumper?

All I see is Tim Curry in Rocky Horror. I don't know why. :D

Possibly because you have problems. Deep problems. Or because TheCADJockey has seen blue skies. Through the tears, in his eyes. Wait no, now I'm the one with problems.

Another of which is that I was never very photogenic for much of my memory. Camera evasion skill level maxed out. One photo that is somewhere archived in a shoebox with a bunch of other 25 year old stuff is me. I'm in the kitchen, standing on a chair, holding a manual hand crank beater, wearing a red plastic mixing bowl on my head. Take that Gordon Ramsay!

Back in the highschoolzoic era, we had group cave paintings. I still have to go down in the basement to find copies of them. I can't believe I was ever a tall skinny kid. Not even sure anyone cares to see'em?

Lost almost all photos of my youth in the big Oakland fire but just had someone post this for me from right after.

Sometime in the early 90s.

Sheri_Jordan.jpg

It was the predecessor to the cell phone but had limited functions, it only recorded videos.

Like the VHS recorder we borrowed from her sister for the SoCal trip. You set it on your shoulder & adjusted the eyepiece to see what you were filming. Still have the tapes with a ghost ball shooting through the frame in one of the cabins on the Queen Mary.

Dude your mom is hot!

So you're into GILFs?

The photo is a family friend Sheri, we are a few years apart. I am probably 22 in the photo. Here is my mom and my sister Stacey. Ever hear the song Stacey's Mom?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dZLfasMPOU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mom_4.jpg

Me and my older brother in the first picture. From left to right me, my wife, and a couple of friends at another friend's wedding reception in the second picture.

Cats.jpg

Wedding.jpg

lol

mini-camcorder

I remember the predecessor to this. My dad had a beta max that had two components one was the programmer and the other was the Betamax player. When you wanted to video you needed to carry the Player/recorder in a huge bag thrown over your shoulder and have a the also huge camera attached by a cable. It did not even have 4G.

The one we used came after that, being self-contained. Worked pretty darn good too! Film was pretty clear, considering the format.

Latest posts

Back