Phosphoric Acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I've been buying the 10% solution sold by MoreBeer, but I looked at Amazon and found it's also used for hydroponics. I emailed General Hydroponics and asked if their 25% solution could be used this way and was told I could so I bought some. Looking at the bottle I see that it also contains citric acid and ammonium phosphate. Is this ok to use? A quart of this cost about twice as much but then it's not merely 4oz or just 10%.

I'm not to concerned with citric acid. I looked up ammonium phosphate and didn't find much so I added in my search brewing and see that diammonium phosphate is a yeast nutrient. Would I be wrong to think a single ammonium part of it would be harmful?

Unless you brew very large batches I'd think 85% might be hard to work with as just a smidgeon over or under might have a big impact. I'm using a measuring cap from kid's medicine to measure mine. It's why I felt 25% was ideal for me and my 4-5.5 gal batches.

I did wonder about high concentration PA and diluting it, but figured it just opened another possibility to be off a bit.

I can't comment on the suitability of that product, but this is what I use: https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=phosphoric+acid
That's what I've been using too for about a year. That quart of 85% food grade acid should last a lifetime based on how much I've used so far. I dilute mine with RO water and keep the diluted solution in a 6 oz plastic bottle with a dropper top and it is both easy and effective for adjusting mash pH.

Unless you brew very large batches I'd think 85% might be hard to work with as just a smidgeon over or under might have a big impact. I'm using a measuring cap from kid's medicine to measure mine. It's why I felt 25% was ideal for me and my 4-5.5 gal batches.

I did wonder about high concentration PA and diluting it, but figured it just opened another possibility to be off a bit.

I'm using 88% lactic acid, just don't like the taste it imparts with certain concentrations.

What concentrations are you getting flavors at?

Most folks suggest it becomes noticeable at 2ml/gallon. Kaiser's experiments have shown it's really variable among tasters.

I seem to notice if I'm around 1ml/gallon (which I'm at quite a bit for lighter beers as my water us fairly alkaline)

I'm not to concerned with citric acid. I looked up ammonium phosphate and didn't find much so I added in my search brewing and see that diammonium phosphate is a yeast nutrient. Would I be wrong to think a single ammonium part of it would be harmful?

Hmm, with that in mind, could I substiture sodium carbonate for sodium bicarbonate when I do my baking? Or maybe I can use H2O2 in place of H2O.

Yes, with chemistry, details matter.:rockin:

I don't expect it to be useful as yeast nutrient being a bit different. My concern is whether or not it would have negative effects on the outcome. I was guessing that it was likely not harmful, and I could certainly be wrong.

I'm using 88% lactic acid, just don't like the taste it imparts with certain concentrations.

What flavor did you get? I've used as much as 60ml to treat 5.75 gals for a 5.25 gal batch of cream ale and didn't notice anything off-tasting.

First question: Was that hydroponics product sold as a food-grade acid? If not, I would be leary of using it.
Second answer: Ammonium phosphate is relatively unstable and probably does not exist in the acid in that form. As mentioned, DAP is a yeast nutrient and is harmless at the concentrations commonly employed.
Third answer: diluting a concentrated acid into a more manageable concentration is always a good option. You can check the strength of your diluted acid by measuring the diluted acid's specific gravity and then comparing that result to common charts of acid strength vs gravity.

1) It is a food grade acid.

2) It states that it contains ammonium phosphate on the bottle.

3) Thanks for the information! I'll see if I can't find a chart. I'm guessing all I'd need is a hydrometer?

Latest posts

Back