Philly Area Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good point...so really driving wise Capones, Beer Yard then Tired Hands make the most sense...too bad Capones didn't open at 11! Given that we may not get out of Syracuse until 9 maybe that order makes the most sense to limit extra driving.

Question: how stupid is traffic getting from Tired Hands into the city on a Friday afternoon? Is everyone leaving the city, or is it just crowded?

Its about 45 to where you're going Id guess. Mostly against traffic until people start heading in again for dinner.

Hmm - I will double check - haven't been there for a couple of years so just basing on previous experience. Thanks for the warning...if not then we will just have to find another time to open them and share.

I would bring a bottle or 2 just in case... depending on how long you hang, if it thins out, you might be ok. also, Matt will chill and serve anything available in the shop.

I would bring a bottle or 2 just in case... depending on how long you hang, if it thins out, you might be ok. also, Matt will chill and serve anything available in the shop.

Dammit I knew I forgot something this morning when I left for work...wonder if I can pick up anything this morning around here...if not the bottle shop is a good option.

On Saturday after you leave Capone's you could go to Forest & Main instead of doing Tired Hands twice.

Oh, and the Bottle Shop at Capone's opens at 9:00am

http://www.thebottleshop.biz/hours.htm

F&M looks like a good option too - will keep that in mind when we try to go somewhere in the afternoon.

I was looking for opening info and apparently am blind - that makes life much easier...although getting up too early and driving may be illegal depending on how tonight goes :)

F&M looks like a good option too - will keep that in mind when we try to go somewhere in the afternoon.

I was looking for opening info and apparently am blind - that makes life much easier...although getting up too early and driving may be illegal depending on how tonight goes :)

oh, Forest & Main will have crowlers of an IPA for sale on Saturday. They're usually $12 a crowler.

Beer yard > capones > tired hands is a lot of backtracking.....that's my only warning.

You can do hit some great bars in south philly so SPTR is a good idea.

Try Monsu down this way. BYOB and great Italian food. Throw out some other types of food you're looking for if Italian doesn't do it for you.

So I enjoy Italian but not sure we will want anything that heavy...if we go to SPTR where else do you recommend we stop in for a drink or bite? Anything food wise that we have to try (e.g. amazing sandwich, oysters, bacon etc.)?

SPTR has very good food, not simply your run of the mill pub grub.

That being noted, a Roast Pork sandwich should be consumed during your trip. One of the best IMO is Paesano's Philly Style which is in the Italian Market. Enjoy your trip !

Was going to say paesanos too. It's not light though.

For small bites try itv or bing bing or stargazy (but they may run out of pies before you get there), brigantessa has good pizza in the area.

For drinks there's fountain Porter, second district, pub on passayunk east.

Also check out phillytapfinder.com for local taplists

Well trying to get the lazy tits on the road this morning may prove difficult. At 2am they said they'd be good to go at 5. Now it's 6 and I think they all said **** off .

What a great town!

Enjoyed some great beer and food; met some fun people - no idea if anyone from TB was in line at Capones but if you chatted with some noisy Canadians in colourful pants that was us.

Friday we walked from around City Hally down to South Philly Taproom and enjoyed some good food and beer; then went further East to a place I had never heard of (Jon’s Bar andd Grill) which had a good selection of locals that we didn’t see anywhere else that weekend (including 3 bullfrog beers). It didn’t hurt that the place was mostly empty, that you save $2 a drink during Flyer games and that our server was pretty awesome.

Saturday at Capones was a lot of fun and it was great to be able to try Younger, Elder and Blind Pig side by side; managed to hit up Monk’s and Eulogy that day along with some random places that we walked into during our loop around downtown.

Curious if any locals can shed some light on how good the city is for family vacations? There is a lot of stuff my wife and I would like to do (great museums, history etc.) but our kids are younger (7 and 4) and not sure how much there is for them…

Plenty of kid friendly activities here. Check out the please touch museum and the franklin institute.

Glad you had a good time. Sounds like you got a pretty good tour of the city. Shame the weather was so awful

Plenty of kid friendly activities here. Check out the please touch museum and the franklin institute.

Glad you had a good time. Sounds like you got a pretty good tour of the city. Shame the weather was so awful
Second these. I'd add the Academy of Natural Sciences - my niece and nephew beg to go there every time they're in town. I'm not really in to Zoos, but the Philly Zoo is supposed to be pretty good too.

There is also the Philadelphia Zoo and Adventure Aquarium (over the river in New Jersey)

I'd recommend getting the City Pass if you wanted to hit up more than one. Glad to hear you had a good time!

What a great town!

Enjoyed some great beer and food; met some fun people - no idea if anyone from TB was in line at Capones but if you chatted with some noisy Canadians in colourful pants that was us.

Friday we walked from around City Hally down to South Philly Taproom and enjoyed some good food and beer; then went further East to a place I had never heard of (Jon’s Bar andd Grill) which had a good selection of locals that we didn’t see anywhere else that weekend (including 3 bullfrog beers). It didn’t hurt that the place was mostly empty, that you save $2 a drink during Flyer games and that our server was pretty awesome.

Saturday at Capones was a lot of fun and it was great to be able to try Younger, Elder and Blind Pig side by side; managed to hit up Monk’s and Eulogy that day along with some random places that we walked into during our loop around downtown.

Curious if any locals can shed some light on how good the city is for family vacations? There is a lot of stuff my wife and I would like to do (great museums, history etc.) but our kids are younger (7 and 4) and not sure how much there is for them…

nice! forgot to mention Jawns! haha

My 4 year old loves the Academy of Natural Sciences, the Zoo, and the Please Touch Museum. I've never found the aquarium to be particularly worth it to be honest though.

Thanks for the feedback - seems like it's not going to be something we do this summer, but like to get an idea of what is out there from people who actually know!

Are there any good family type festivals or events in the spring or summer that would be worth arranging a trip around?

Hoping for some local help. Have a bachelor party on Saturday. The AirBNB is between Point Breeze and SW Center City (Ellsworth St). How is the neighborhood? Am I ok leaving my car there? Should I garage it? Apologies for the ignorant questions, but I get a bit paranoid about our new-ish car.

You may not find streets that don't require permit parking depending on when you get into town.

Ellsworth and what? And we talking a Mercedes here or a new Kia?

I live a few blocks south and have had no issues parking on the street (vw tiguan). Pm me if you want some more specific parking recs (or just take Amtrak?)

I mean, south philly isn't vietnam, your car won't disappear. Just make sure you don't have anything visible in the car and it should be just fine. Finding parking is going to be more of a problem than anything.

Thanks guys. I would normally laugh if anyone asked me about parking in NYC but I know next to nothing about Philly and what are considered good/bad neighborhoods

It's definitely an "up and coming neighborhood" and honestly some of those blocks of Ellsworth still need work. But you will find nice cars parked on the street, and as long as nothing is visible in yours, you should be fine.

gregkoko you'll be fine. Like the other guys said, you may have trouble finding a spot that lets you stay there all day, but if you're patient you'll be okay. What spots are you guys hitting up?

gregkoko you'll be fine. Like the other guys said, you may have trouble finding a spot that lets you stay there all day, but if you're patient you'll be okay. What spots are you guys hitting up?

A bunch of breweries that I've never heard of and Yards:

2nd Story
Saint Benjamin
Crime and Punishment
Bar Hygge

Skip Crime and Punishment and do 2nd District (which is in South Philly) instead.

edit: I realize you are probably doing that since you'll be up in Fairmount already but I really don't think it's worth the time.

edit2: Saint Benjamin is pretty far north too but I can't comment on it as I've never been. There's another new brewery in South Philly named ARS or something like that. Maybe stick to South Philly breweries?

Skip Crime and Punishment and do 2nd District (which is in South Philly) instead.

edit: I realize you are probably doing that since you'll be up in Fairmount already but I really don't think it's worth the time.

edit2: Saint Benjamin is pretty far north too but I can't comment on it as I've never been. There's another new brewery in South Philly named ARS or something like that. Maybe stick to South Philly breweries?

I have zero control over this expedition. Just along for the ride. The best man planned it all (bus included) and I'm not giving my opinion unless asked. If there's time for more stops I'll be sure to let him know though. Thanks!

I have zero control over this expedition. Just along for the ride. The best man planned it all (bus included) and I'm not giving my opinion unless asked. If there's time for more stops I'll be sure to let him know though. Thanks!
Well, at least there's a bus. It'll be fun regardless. I love Bar Hygge a lot though I'm severely biased since it's a 5 minute walk from my house.

Thanks for the feedback - seems like it's not going to be something we do this summer, but like to get an idea of what is out there from people who actually know!

Are there any good family type festivals or events in the spring or summer that would be worth arranging a trip around?

The Sly Fox Goat races are beer related but I know people who have taken their kids to it.

I've lived in Philly most of my adult life and have never been to Capone's.
I haven't been in a few years but my wife and I used to go there sometimes. However, there is very little reason to go if you are just visiting Philly since there are plenty of places to drink right in the city. I found it was mostly suburb people who suggested you drive out to their bars more than Philly people suggesting. BeerAdvocate threads were always hilarious.

I haven't been in a few years but my wife and I used to go there sometimes. However, there is very little reason to go if you are just visiting Philly since there are plenty of places to drink right in the city. I found it was mostly suburb people who suggested you drive out to their bars more than Philly people suggesting. BeerAdvocate threads were always hilarious.

Oh yeah those are great.

"I'll be in Philly for a few days for work what good bars should I check out?"

"Tired Hands is a must"

Oh yeah those are great.

"I'll be in Philly for a few days for work what good bars should I check out?"

"Tired Hands is a must"
Which, while also ridiculous, is at least a unique experience! Although now you can get their beer in the city so it's not as useful. I've seen suggestions to drive out to Victory and just have to laugh.

Is 2nd District any good? I'm interested in checking it out, but Ben's beers at DFH were hit/miss, not sure how much of that was him and how much of it was DFH

I've enjoyed the beers, food is good too.

How long ago was he at DFH? Don't think he learned anything since then?

Latest posts

Back