Philadelphia cider source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smh

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm moving to Philly in the fall. What are good sources for fresh pressed preservative-free cider? Where do you buy your supplies? I'll likely be in the Glenolden area.

Baumans in Sassamansville, PA does all the pressing for the local orchards. They also sell juice but its often made from red delicious and other junky varieties so I don't brew with it. Their juice is flash-pasteurized (heat).

Frecon Farms up here grows apples and makes their own hard cider. I've attempted to discuss custom pressings with both Baumans and Frecon with no luck so far. There is a nice homebrew store in Pottstown, PA called Weak Knee. This is all a 1 hr+ drive from Philly.

If you ever get together a group buy of a custom pressing (perhaps a high volume would entice them) I would be in for 10 gallons.

I called Baumans again and got some useful info. They will do a custom pressing with a minimum of 6 bushels, if I remember correctly. 1 bushel = 3.2 gallons by my math. 'We' supply the apples. I'm good for only about 10 gals in one shot, so it would take more than you and I to make it happen... building a 304-stainless press is on my mind too.

Back