Phenols

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNBEERGUY

Reaction score
what are phenols are they made by yeast or grain and how to keep good ones and get rid of bad

Phenols are a product of fermentation. Good and bad are relative, depending on the style of beer - peppery spicey phenols in a Witbier are good, assuming they are not overwhelming. In a Munich Helles, they're always bad.

Phenol production is dependent on the combination of yeast strain, fermentation temperatures, pitch rate, and yeast vitality.

You've asked a few fermentation related questions, RN, you might enjoy reading Yeast, a book by Chris White (of White Labs) and Jamil Z.

Phenols are a product of fermentation. Good and bad are relative, depending on the style of beer - peppery spicey phenols in a Witbier are good, assuming they are not overwhelming. In a Munich Helles, they're always bad.

Phenol production is dependent on the combination of yeast strain, fermentation temperatures, pitch rate, and yeast vitality.

You've asked a few fermentation related questions, RN, you might enjoy reading Yeast, a book by Chris White (of White Labs) and Jamil Z.
Thanks I will

Phenols are great in certain styles (think saison and Belgians). Personally, I'm not usually a fan but if they are subtle i can get behind them. As Pappers said, yeast has to do with their production and some strains produce more than others. When making a saison pr Belgian, because I'm not a huge fan of phenols, I ferment on the colder side. In general, I'd say temperature effects phenols the most and yeast strain comes in a close second. Remember, if you dont want to wait on the time difference at cold temperatures after the lag time (about half way in) you can slowly raise the temperature without adding too many phenols.

Latest posts

Back