English IPA Phd - eipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKaranka

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US West Coast
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Dry, light and boozy, with floral and zesty hops.
This is a second iteration to make a pale, dry EIPA based on 1890s grists and updating the hops a bit. In order to hit an attenuation above 80% I used amylase enzyme in the mash. I suggest you mash low and also add amylase. Alternatively you can store with Brett for a year before adding the dry hops but that seems like a lot of hassle.

The 5.5 gallons were drunk in a single session by both craft and real ale drinkers. Drinkers noted it to be dry, floral, hoppy, minty and some people mentioned a vanilla note. Some citrus rind (lime / orange). The beer is dry but drinkable. Some people mentioned it was similar to bitters / pale ales from the Midlands and the North. Colour is a light gold. Very thirst quenching, and does not taste its strength.

Recipe translated from 5 Imperial gallons to 5.5 US gallons, so there is some rounding to do. My brewhouse efficiency is just above 65%.

OG 1.055, FG 1.008, ~6.2% ABV, 6SRM, ~50IBU.

Mash low (with 2.5g alpha amylase, 2g 80% lactic acid and gypsum treatment to hit 180+ppm of sulphate):
11lb Maris Otter
1.1lb Flaked Maize

60 minute boil:
60 - 0.9oz Challenger
15 - 1.8oz EKG, 0.9oz Cascade
Steep (at 80-85c) - 0.9oz EKG, 0.9oz Cascade
Dry hop - 1.8oz EKG, 0.9oz Cascade

Yeast: MJ West Coast.

Yeast - MJ

Cascade is an interesting choice for something that sounds like folks considered it "authentic." I know that at some point both continental and US hops were used, but I tend to stick to UK hops for these beers. I'll have to give it a go sometime!

Yes, Cascade is still relatively mellow if not used in excess (it's here around 35% of the hops used). EKG is also a bit more zesty than what people often acknowledge. You could replace the Cascade for Styrians, Saaz or Cluster and get fairly similar results at the end but with slightly different tones. This beer did not have any noticeable grapefruit flavour and nobody mentioned American hops (they did ask what hops did it have, though).

Latest posts

Back