Ph Meter Storage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I just got a new Milwaukee pH Meter w/ATC, the calibration liquids and the electrode storage solution. I will not be using the meter for sometime as I'm recovering from a surgery. I was wondering if I need to calibrate the meter now and store the electrode in the solution or if I can just leave it how it is in the box and do all the calibration and stuff when I first use it?

Thanks.

LiquidFlame said:
Hello,

I just got a new Milwaukee pH Meter w/ATC, the calibration liquids and the electrode storage solution. I will not be using the meter for sometime as I'm recovering from a surgery. I was wondering if I need to calibrate the meter now and store the electrode in the solution or if I can just leave it how it is in the box and do all the calibration and stuff when I first use it?

Thanks.

You don't need to calibrate it now, but you should calibrate it before each use until you know how stable it is. I would calibrate at least every brew session regardless. Even expensive meters drift.

You do however need to keep it in the storage solution.

You do not need to calibrate it (as it won't hold the calibration anyway). If it was shipped dry then you do not need to either hydrate it nor store it in storage solution. Just keep it in a cool, dry place until you are ready to use it then follow the manufacturer's directions for hydration (if it was shipped dry) and storage. If it was shipped hydrated and in storage solution check that there is enough storage solution in the cap or bottle to keep the electrode wet. Storage solution does evaporate and potassium chloride does 'creep' so periodic topping off is required.

If this is your first exposure to pH measurement then you may find https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/ph-meter-calibration-302256/ helpful/interesting.

Back