PH Meter Probe Broke!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlomo

Reaction score
Hi All,

Question for you. What is the liquid inside these cheaper PH Meters?

I made a 5 gallon batch and had just tried out this new PH meter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EZ68DO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But, as soon as i put it in my Mash Tun (152F) the probe popped.

Im not worried about glass or anything as there is not way it would have been filtered from the top of the grain bed into the boil kettle, but what is the liquid? Its obviously a very small amount ppm, but i want to be sure the batch would be safe.

On a side note, are these PH meters not to be used at that temperature?

I've seen other videos of people using their cheaper meter directly in the mash with no problems.. Is it just me?

As a disclaimer, this is the first batch i've ever had a PH meter, so yes i am not knowledgeable about this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not meant to be dipped in hot liquids. Even if one has the ATC feature it should be cooled to room temp for an accurate reading. The experts on here would advise you to spend more to get a reliable ph meter. Check out the Milwaukee MW102 or Hach Pocket Pro+.

They are not meant to be dipped in hot liquids. Even if one has the ATC feature it should be cooled to room temp for an accurate reading. The experts on here would advise you to spend more to get a reliable ph meter. Check out the Milwaukee MW102 or Hach Pocket Pro+.

^ what he said.

In most modern meters the bulb will be filled with hydrochloric acid and the reference cell with a solution of potassium chloride saturated with silver chloride. None of these would be a problem for the beer as the quantities are so small. The only thing that would concern me is that in the past the reference cell for pH measurement was made with calomel (Hg2Cl2). I am sure that this is no longer the case but with some cheap Chinese import I would want to be very sure. IF there is anything toxic in the meter they are required to furnish you with a MSDS stating what the hazards are.

Latest posts

Back