Persimmons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shine0n

Reaction score
I just recently tasted a fruit after 3 years of seeing the trees and man oh man why did I wait sooo long to try them.

It comes out they are persimmons and ALOT of them too, I did some research to find out what they were and I'm sure glad I did.

I'm a huge fan of persimmons (which might explain why i have 15+ trees grafted out at my place). Great source of wild yeast.

The only shortcoming for brewing is that the flavor beyond 'sweet' is fairly mild, so you need a whole lot to taste them in a mead, especially if finishing dry.

it’s been a while since i’ve had one.

would you say that it would go well in a mead or beer that peach is typically in?

i.e. instead of making a peach wheat, make a persimmon wheat?

I would but I don't brew beer
lol
That may have to wait on my buddy IF I don't use them all first.

New to an area that can grow persimmons! I’m anxious to try them.
How many would you use to mix up a 1 gallon batch of mead?

No idea, I don't know much about them other than they make a fine brandy.

I've not worked with them personally yet, my friend gave a pint of his brandy and it was delish.

I'll freeze them till the trees are empty than do a small batch to get to know more about them and then go big.

I would assume 3-5lb per gal and most likely in secondary.

One of my goals as well, I'm sure I'll have enough to fill my needs and then some:)

No idea, I don't know much about them other than they make a fine brandy.

I've not worked with them personally yet, my friend gave a pint of his brandy and it was delish.

I'll freeze them till the trees are empty than do a small batch to get to know more about them and then go big.

I would assume 3-5lb per gal and most likely in secondary.

You might find this thread useful:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/absurd-persimmon-project.154932/
Regards, GF.

My First mead was a wild fermented persimmon and it came out phenomenal. Use ALOT! I just made another this year. Used about two gallons worth of persimmons (mashed, seeded/ strained down to a gallon.) Its rocking like a champ right now. 1 gallon of mashed/ seeded persimmon, 2 gallons of water, 1 quart of honey. I will be adding another half gallons worth of honey to this next week or the week after

the plan is 5 gallons persimmons then add what I need to finish off a 10 gal batch

Latest posts

Back