Perplexed - no fermentation activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHark

Reaction score
6 days ago, I pitched a vial of WL001 into a fresh batch of 1.061 OG pale ale. I normally use a starter, but decided last minute to brew. I've done this before with no issues. after 48 hours there was no activity (bubbling in the airlock or krausen forming. I questioned whether or not I had aerated enough, so I pulled off the airlock, plugged the hole and started shaking the fermenter to get some oxygen in the wort. After shaking and setting the pail back down, the lid exploded off the pail, which indicates there was some CO2 present.

At that point, I rehydrated some dry yeast I had sitting around and pitched for good measure. 2 more days, no activity, so I had my wife run by the LHBS and pick up another vial of yeast while I was at work and I pitched that evening. Next day, still nothing (no bubbling and ZERO krausen). It's been six days, and I've nothing going on. What gives? BTW, both vials were well within their "best by" dates.

^This. Every fermentation is different, and the only real indicator of fermentation are gravity readings. I've had some beers produce almost zero krausen and still ferment out just fine. Not every fermentation is vigorous, but if you provide the right environment for the yeast in terms of food source, nutrients, temperature and oxygen, fermentation is sure to take place.

In my opinion, if your lid popped off that violently, there was definitely some fermentation going on as it obviously building pressure.

Since you said lid, I assume this is in a bucket? Buckets do not always have the best seal and I have noticed when I use them, I rarely see airlock activity because the co2 is able to escape. It seems like your beer probably fermented and you wasted money on all that extra yeast.

I am with the rest here. Take a gravity reading and keep in mind that airlock activity does not directly correlate with fermentation activity. Conversely, you could possibly have a fermentation that is done but still see a bubble come out of the airlock every once in a while.

Well, you all were right. Despite no visible signs of fermentation (no krausen or bubbling airlock), my fermentation was good: 1.065 to 1.01 in seven days. Never had that happen before.

Happy it worked out! :mug:

Back