Perlick flow control -> growler filler -> beer gun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipsiad

Reaction score
So I have a beer gun that I almost never use because it's I find it to be a big hassle to set up unless I'm doing 12 or more bottles. Most of the time all I want to do is fill up one or two bottles to give away.

I'm in the process of upgrading my kegerator to one with all flow-control Perlicks (650SS). I also have the growler filler attachment made for these faucets. What I was thinking is I could attach the beer gun to the growler filler, and just use the flow-control faucet to reduce the flow rate through the beer gun - thus eliminating the need to open up the kegerator, detach the QDs, depressurize the keg, adjust regulator pressure, attach beer gun to keg, etc.

The problem I'm seeing is the growler filler's barb takes a 5/16" ID hose, whereas the beer gun is 3/16". I'd need to add a hose reducer to make them fit, which might cause a lot of turbulence/foam. Has anyone tried this and made it work?

Where did you get a growler filler attachment for the 650SS? I have the 650SS and have been unable to find one.

Ouch! First post and didn't even try to answer the OP's question.
Here you go: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PERLICK-FAUCET-630SS-GROWLER-FILLER-P3640.aspx
(look up item S38 to confirm that they actually meant 650SS Flow Control)

Back to topic:
At some point, the pressure will be great enough to blow out the growler filler device since it's simply held in by friction. The reason it works well for growler filling is because the tubing you'd attach is always open, whereas you'd be attaching a device that closes off the opening, thus creating a back-pressure situation and the weak link will be the growler filler dohicky. Whether or not 1-2psi is enough to push it out - I don't know, but at some pressure (probably by 5psi) it's going to pop out if you allow the beer gun to close.

Forgetting the beer gun, is this an effective way to bottle fill? It would take all the guesswork out of properly carbonating beer and have sediment-free bottles. I understand it would NOT be clearing the bottles of oxygen prior to filling but that's the case if I'm filling from a bucket too. I'm thinking this would be great for belgians I want to naturally carb in a keg while bulk aging. Then I can test the pressure to see that CO2 volumes are where I want them to be. Then fill a bunch of bottles. Best of ALL worlds?

Latest posts

Back