Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the pellicle on my lacto starter for a Berliner Weisse. It was made with half DME and half apple juice, which I inoculated with a handful of crushed grain. I pitched it into half of the wort yesterday and a similar looking pellicle has formed in the carboy. It's amazing how fast the pellicle can change. At first it looked sort of krausen-y, and then it looked more like a pellicle with some 1-2 cm diameter bubbles and some flat patches with lines, but now just 3 or 4 hours later there are medium sized bubbles covering the entire surface.

pellicle_1.jpg

This is a tripel which used Wyeast 3522 in primary. It also had a half can of sauvignon blanc grape concentrate in it. After getting down to around 1.012, I transferred to secondary on 3/31 and added a starter I made up from the dregs of a four-pack of Green Flash Rayon Vert, which to my understanding is Brett B. I also added the dregs from a bottle of Logsdon Peche 'n Brett on 4/14.

It really wasn't doing a lot until a couple of weeks ago (probably due to the ABV and slower nature of the Brett), but the pellicle has really taken off recently. I'll be testing it and the rest of my brett/sour beers sometime in July. I also have a year old lambic going which has just dropped its pellicle and a sour stout which doesn't have an exciting pellicle, so no other photo opportunities.

IMAG0710.jpg

Here's a update on both my lambic and Flanders red hopefully the color shows through so you can tell the difference ....... Also the lambic has the thicker pellicle. the last photo is the Flanders red and it is just starting to get a pellicle.... I did the Lambic in October of last year so that's 8 months and the Flanders in November so it's at 7 months now. I can't believe I won't be bottling either until April and may of 2014/

image-1447113036.jpg

image-549025697.jpg

image-870531687.jpg

Here's an update of my "alement" lambic. I found it interesting that the difference of just one week gave it a more stringy texture and a develop a couple bubbles.

image-2975554905.jpg

Saison Brett fermented with brettanomyces cultured from Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett and harvested from a prior batch brewed with Saison Dupont to 1030 and finished off with the brett to FG. I guess it's not quite a 100% brett beer since I'm sure there was a little Dupont still lurking in the culture. Brewed this in the beginning of May and this pellicle just popped up this week.

ForumRunner_20130619_232729.jpg

LAMBIC MEAD! The bottom bubble doubled in size overnight. Sorry for the bad photography. Im standing on my toes leaning, and holding the camera with a flashlight in the other hand. I had to rely on Auto-focus which can be exceptionally wonky. Enjoy! The very beginnings of a pellicle.

IMG_1680_zps17be5935.jpg

IMG_1677_zps3efd48c0.jpg

Saison Brett fermented with brettanomyces cultured from Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett and harvested from a prior batch brewed with Saison Dupont to 1030 and finished off with the brett to FG. I guess it's not quite a 100% brett beer since I'm sure there was a little Dupont still lurking in the culture. Brewed this in the beginning of May and this pellicle just popped up this week.

View attachment 129777
gorgeous!

any chance we can get the full-size/hi-res version of that shot? i like to use them as my desktop wallpaper (rotates every day). thanks!

Say what?

Kind of an experiment. I know that sour meads have been done; but judging by your response and my research... not very often. I have a Post on Gotmead. Here in the Mead subforum, and a post on my blog. Pick your poison.

Its an ~8% hydromel recipe using orange blossom honey and pitched WYeast Lambic Blend.

My 8 month old low gravity (1.047) Oud Bruin. Pitched US-05 and WLP665 in primary. Added Dregs from Crooked Stave Surett, Hop Savant, and St. Bretta to secondary. Really looking forward to this one.

IMG_0415.jpg

sweetcell said:
gorgeous!

i'll repeat my on-going request for a high-res version. i use the beautiful pellicle shots as my desktop wallpaper. totally grosses out the workmates and keeps them from bugging me too much :ban:

I dont have anything to take a high resolution picture with besides my phone. Not a photo geek

perfectly understandable. is what you posted above the original image, or did you have to resize it? by "high res" i don't mean a bzillion megapixels, just larger than what the forum allows us to post.

sweetcell said:
perfectly understandable. is what you posted above the original image, or did you have to resize it? by "high res" i don't mean a bzillion megapixels, just larger than what the forum allows us to post.

I usually post from my phone and the app just took the pic as usual without having me to edit it at all.

Anyone coming to nhc? I can bring a few sours down. I will have two on tap at bruclear, but if any fellow sour brewers are coming, I am up for a bottle trade.

Yes I know it is off-topic, but sour.......

Anyone coming to nhc? I can bring a few sours down. I will have two on tap at bruclear, but if any fellow sour brewers are coming, I am up for a bottle trade.

Yes I know it is off-topic, but sour.......
Is bruclear your club name? If so - pouring at club night? Hoping to see (drink...) some sours that evening.

I'm bringing a blackberry berliner weiss with me to pour at club night. Might have to see what else is hanging around in my cellar as well, for random sharing.

Is bruclear your club name? If so - pouring at club night? Hoping to see (drink...) some sours that evening.

I'm bringing a blackberry berliner weiss with me to pour at club night. Might have to see what else is hanging around in my cellar as well, for random sharing.

Yea, we are pouring at the hospitality suite at 2 on Thursday and will have a ecy20 ale. My apricot sour will be tapped at club night.

My first Brett Pellicle! - the thick stuff was just apparently super proteins that stuck together... first beer that's ever done that... was like that the day after pitching and they will not drop.
But this was brewed back on may 6th. So i'll give it until at least the end of the year and bottle it up... i've heard with american farmhouse (WLP670) to bottle after 3 months, so i'll give it a titch longer.

IMG_20130626_210324_797_zpsb5745798.jpg

alien.jpg

So it's starting to "ice" over now. Man once this sets in it goes fast. It's already starting to get sour to which is great. I'm sure this was an alien skull now. If you look close, you can almost see the face still. I really hope that white isn't mold.

Back