Pellet Hops Unrefrigerated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koenigerc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed Northern Brewer's Black IPA 2 weeks ago and just realized today that I had forgot to refrigerate the Cascade hops that are to be dry hopped 5 days before bottling. Are these hops still ok to add or would it be best to just skip the dry hop?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

They are fine. They are a dry product and will store fine at Room Temp, just like dry herbs.

But ..... if you want to retain the acids (the goodness the hops add to beer), vacuum sealing and storing at cold temps improves storage.

Cascade has an HSI of 50%, which means it looses 50% of it's AAs (bittering acids) in 6 months when left unsealed at 70 F. A couple of weeks is no problem,

Hi all,

I brewed Northern Brewer's Black IPA 2 weeks ago and just realized today that I had forgot to refrigerate the Cascade hops that are to be dry hopped 5 days before bottling. Are these hops still ok to add or would it be best to just skip the dry hop?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Your hops are probably sealed in a nitrogen filled packet which helps to prolong their life. I wouldn't worry about them even if a couple months had passed at room temp. They will keep better/longer if refrigerated or frozen. The hops that grow wild here still have decent aroma a few months after they were ready to be picked while still hanging on the vines out in the weather.

Latest posts

Back