Pectic Enzyme - Post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
Can I use pectic enzyme to clear my hard apple cider after fermentation is complete? The instructions on the package say to add it before fermentation. Will it kill my yeast? I plan to bottle carb...

You might be able to get some more solids to drop in secondary using pectic enzyme, but it's typically used during primary fermentation. I wouldn't add it if you're going straight to bottling as there wouldn't be much point.

It's actually been in secondary for about 5 weeks, and I plan to leave it there for another month or two. It just doesn't seem to be clearing at all.

According to my reading it can be done any time. It should not kill the yeast. You could try a clarifier like Claro KC and then repitch with a new yeast. Since I like considerable residual sweetness I force carbonate and then fill frozen bottles with cider sweetened with wine conditioner.

Did you use pasturized cider? If so it may never clear to your satisfaction. Heat binds the pectins. Can you cold crash?

Did you use pasturized cider? If so it may never clear to your satisfaction. Heat binds the pectins. Can you cold crash?

It was indeed a cooked cider and not a squeezed cider. I have suspected all along that might be the issue...
I can cold crash it. I suppose I could add more yeast at bottling in case cold crashing and aging drop out the yeast too much.

It was indeed a cooked cider and not a squeezed cider. I have suspected all along that might be the issue...
I can cold crash it. I suppose I could add more yeast at bottling in case cold crashing and aging drop out the yeast too much.

Me, I'd go ahead and dissolve it in a little water and gently stir it in. It might help alot. It might not do much. either way, you've got nothing to lose.

It acts on pectin, and won't affect the yeast, so it's no biggie to add it and it might help alot.

Me, I'd go ahead and dissolve it in a little water and gently stir it in. It might help alot. It might not do much. either way, you've got nothing to lose.

It acts on pectin, and won't affect the yeast, so it's no biggie to add it and it might help alot.

Thanks for the advice Yoop! I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work I can live with the haze. It still tastes great.

So, I put the pectic enzyme in about 5 days ago, and it's working. It seems to be a slow process, but I can see stuff falling out. It does look more clear. I'm guessing after another month in secondary it will be nice and clear.

Thanks for the help friends!

Latest posts

Back