Peated malt--steep or mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSnacks

Reaction score
I'm making a HOTD Adam clone tomorrow and I'd like to add the peated malt in a pretty controlled way. Ideally I'd steep the peated malt separately from the main mash and add it to the boil in gradual amounts. Does anyone know if peated malt can be cold steeped overnight or should I do a minimash with a pound or two of two row?

You can cold steep it. If you have never used it before, be very careful it can easily ruin a beer. The few times I have used it, I have cold steeped it and added at kegging so I could adjust the amount to taste.

You can cold steep it. If you have never used it before, be very careful it can easily ruin a beer. The few times I have used it, I have cold steeped it and added at kegging so I could adjust the amount to taste.

Yeah, I'm starting with half the amount the recipe calls for and even then I'm going to add it incrementally.

Back