Pear juice for perry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Just got a wild hair.... Wanted to make a batch of cider, but realized i've never made perry.
However, i'm having some issues finding straight up pear juice... Where do you guys normally get it?

Only thing i'm turning up is the stuff from gerber and the pear cinnamon juice from trader joes (but it's supposedly terrible to ferment out)

Order a 3-4 perry pear trees, when they come in the spring plant them, wait 3-5 years pick the pears and process like you would apples.
Or you can try to make perry out of regular supermarket pears. I see you are in Oregon, call around your local orchards and see if they have any "seconds" to sell, or maybe they sell pear juice like they would sweet cider. Note if pears are too ripe they are almost impossible to get any juice out of.

You could check at an up-scale grocery store. I haven't tried it yet to be able to comment on results, but I have seen that I can get pear juice at Whole Foods Market, along with a selection of other juices.

Have you ever drank pear cider?

If I drink even one of them, my whole face gets clogged up and I get a horrible headache.

In the "baby" section of your local supermarket, check for pear juice there. There is no junk in it, as babies, well, just shouldn't have junk.:)

True Perry pears are tough to come by unless you grow your own. Tey're different than culinary pears, just like true cider apples are different from culinary apples. You can make a pear cider from culinary pears, it won't be the same, but it should still be tasty. It's a little pricey, but you might try using this:
http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/organic-juices/organic-pear
Regards, GF.

Looza has a pear nectar that can be fermented easily, be prepared for a lot of sediment, a little oak also might turn it into something better. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back