Peace coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneTreeFarms

Reaction score
I brewed up Midwest's peace coffee stout today my question is has anybody tried to switch this to a coffee cream Stout? I understand I need to use lactose but how much for a 5 gallon batch and could I just add that to the secondary? Hoping for a taste similar to bells dbl cream stout

Can I add that to the secondary? I don't think lactose is fermentable so it shouldn't matter when I do it should it?

That is correct. Treat it just like your priming sugar in that you mix it with water, boil it for about 5 minutes, cool and add. So long as you are only using sacc. yeast it will not ferment. Keep in mind it does not add much in the way of sweetness mainly just thickens the mouthfeel.

That is correct. Treat it just like your priming sugar in that you mix it with water, boil it for about 5 minutes, cool and add. So long as you are only using sacc. yeast it will not ferment. Keep in mind it does not add much in the way of sweetness mainly just thickens the mouthfeel.

Lactose definitely adds sweetness in my experience. Maybe you're confusing it with maltodextrin?

No, I use both. But neither one adds enough sweetness at 1-2lbs per 5 gal to notice.

Latest posts

Back