Pea Beer/Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
Stroke of insight hit me - peas are mostly starch and sugar. Has anyone ever heard of a wine or beer used purely from peas?

I've seen "Pea pod wine" - where they only use the pods to flavor it, but that's kind of lame. What if you use fresh peas and some adjuncts to break down the carbs & ferment?

:confused:

Peas are sometimes used in Lithuanian farmhouse style beers, though its not 100% peas, more like 10-20%.

I wrote you a haiku to express how I feel about this:

I really hate peas.
Peas are little balls of hell.
Don't use them in beer.

You have not had fresh peas. Peas from the store are nothing like off the vine!!

considering all of us know the lengths to which many people would go to in order to catch a buzz, if peas made an even slightly palatable alcoholic beverage, it would be common knowledge.

but now you have brought it up, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to carry out experiments on it.

because SCIENCE!

considering all of us know the lengths to which many people would go to in order to catch a buzz, if peas made an even slightly palatable alcoholic beverage, it would be common knowledge.

but now you have brought it up, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to carry out experiments on it.

because SCIENCE!

I would, but I live in southern california and i feel growing peas will not be FRUITFUL. LOL GET IT?

You have not had fresh peas. Peas from the store are nothing like off the vine!!

Actually, I lived for about 5 years on a farm when I was a kid. I hated peas then and hate them now (fresh or canned).

The only ones that are passable are the dried wasabi ones they sell at Asian grocery stores.

Actually, I lived for about 5 years on a farm when I was a kid. I hated peas then and hate them now (fresh or canned).

The only ones that are passable are the dried wasabi ones they sell at Asian grocery stores.

You're a terrible person.

I am not going to ferment store-bought peas. That is like asking someone to make pea-beer out of store bought peas.

I remember reading in a book about historic brewing in America that peas where actually a common ingredient back in colonial times, something to look into

Interesting, I had a similar thought recently while chewing on a very sweet, grilled bell pepper.

Stroke of insight hit me - peas are mostly starch and sugar. Has anyone ever heard of a wine or beer used purely from peas?

I've seen "Pea pod wine" - where they only use the pods to flavor it, but that's kind of lame. What if you use fresh peas and some adjuncts to break down the carbs & ferment?

:confused:

You gave this thought but had no source of fresh peas and then brought it to the forum? You MUST find a source and do this or be ejected from the forum, I would think it wouldn't be too hard with your screen name and all;)

You gave this thought but had no source of fresh peas and then brought it to the forum? You MUST find a source and do this or be ejected from the forum, I would think it wouldn't be too hard with your screen name and all;)

The reason I gave it much thought is where I grew up always has plenty of peas. I've moved to college, and can't do it. Upon moving back, I surely will. In the meantime, the forum lays responsible to carry out my award-winning ideas at all cost.

Back