Partygyle Question ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
Just Mashed in a Strong Scotch Ale, going to partygyle it.

If my first runnings are for a 10 gal batch OG 1.070 and I'm going to partygyle a 5 gal batch off of it, would it be a good idea to add a pound or two of grain when mashing the second runnings ? to get decent efficiency ?

Or will it be fine since its only a 5 gal batch?

What OG could I expect for the second batch ?

Thanks

Cheers :mug:

Sorry, I can't contribute to the answer. I have a question of my own though... Can some explain the 'partigyle' process? I keep hearing it but have no clue what it is! I do know it's for high gravity beers but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry, I can't contribute to the answer. I have a question of my own though... Can some explain the 'partigyle' process? I keep hearing it but have no clue what it is! I do know it's for high gravity beers but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hello, A Partygyle is when you collect the first runnings for a strong beer, and then collect your second runnings for a lighter 2nd batch of beer.

You will end up with 2 batches of beer from 1 batch of grain.

Capping your mash with another pound or two of grain will boost the OG of your 2nd beer. Depends on what you're after for the smaller beer.

I think it's something like 60% efficiency for your first and 40% for your 2nd .... Or 70-30.... Can't recall exactly.

And that's 60% of whatever your usual efficiency is... So if you're normally hitting 75% with your process, calculate your 1st as 60% of 75% which is 45%

Capping your mash with another pound or two of grain will boost the OG of your 2nd beer. Depends on what you're after for the smaller beer.

I think it's something like 60% efficiency for your first and 40% for your 2nd .... Or 70-30.... Can't recall exactly.

And that's 60% of whatever your usual efficiency is... So if you're normally hitting 75% with your process, calculate your 1st as 60% of 75% which is 45%

Thanks for the info !

You hit the nail on the head, my efficiency on both beers was low so I boiled up some DME real quick and adjusted them both.

Next time I try this, I will be adding 3 pounds extra base grain to the recipe and capping with another 2 pounds.

Thanks Again !

You can also add different steeping grains after drawing off your 1st runnings to change the character of the 2nd beer.

I think there are a few partigyle calculators out there but I'm not sure of their accuracy. I've only done a few partigyles myself.

I just used brewtarget (open source beersmith-like brew software) and entered the recipe twice, once for each gyle with reduced efficiency for each. I didn't cap the mash.

As I recall, my numbers came in fairly close.

I read up on partigyles here, and on other sites to find the efffeciency reduction factor for each gyle.

Wgaylord post 4 has the relavent table for extractions. I would also suggest reading the article written by Mosher that accompanies the table. It really clears things up.
I have an excel sheet I can dig out and link to. I hit the numbers pretty close on my first attempt.

The Mosher article is really an authoritative source on partygyling.

Back