Partly Covering Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know it is best to boil w/o a lid on at all, however, testing a new pot on my stove to do 1gal batches I running into an issue with the vent dripping condensation back into the pot, and a weak boil. If I were to cover the pot about 1/3 to 1/2, with a lid or foil, would this have any negative impact, outside less water boiling off? Should I increase the length of the boil, if I were to partly cover the pot?

I use pilsner a lot and typically boil with the lid about 70% on. Never had DMS issues.

Keep the lid on about 3/4 of the way. No I'll effects that I've encountered. IMO, no need to increase boil time either.

Zymatic never gets above 207 and thus never boils. Never a problem. The vigorous boil necessity is a brewing myth.

Brew on!

I agree with others in that it will not make a huge difference. I used to cover my pot partially to help the vigor of the boil, and it worked fine. These days I boil with the lid off, mostly for consistency and I have a propane burner for my 5 gal batches and a gas stove for smaller batches.

When having the lid partly on, the length of boil be increased at all, or kept the same?
I don't think you have to necessarily boil for shorter or longer. That being said, take some notes and see if it changes your boil off rate at all. You might have to adjust your process a little to keep your numbers where you want them.

Back