partigyle color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FromZwolle

I don't want to be cremated, I want to be malted.
Reaction score
hey all,

Planning on doing a simple partigyle; let's say 60% pils, 40% vienna. First runnings for a heavily hopped IPA and the second runnings for a kolsch-ish ale. Brewers' friend doesn't seem to be able to handle partigyle brewing, so how does one estimate color of the second runnings, or third for that matter?

At the end of the day I'm really only concerned with flavor and aroma, but I still like to have a decent idea on what to expect.

Cheers.

I would scale the grain bill down so that the software predicts the OG you expect from the second runnings.

Brew on :mug:

There is a book called Guile Brews by Peter Symons. Peter is from Australia and a lot of the beers he writes about are from his home country but many from England as well.

Like a lot of homebrewers I struggled with figuring out the details of performing my own partigyle. This book explains it all and has several recipes for homebrewers.

It's been a long time, but I used to use Braukaiser's batch sparge spreadsheet to dial it my partigyle gravities and volumes.

I don't think it'll tell you color. Software struggles with that under normal conditions anyway.

When I used to do partigyles I would collect 3 (or more) runoffs and blend them together to get my worts. Even the smallest beers would get some first runnings and the strongest beers some of the last. Most of the flavor and color will be in the first wort. A strictly 2nd (or later) runnings beer can often taste very bland.

Ex: Wee Heavy and a Scottish Export, the Wee Heavy might get 80% first wort, 20% second wort 50% third wort, and the Export 20% first wort, 80% second wort, and 50% third wort.

I would calculate the combined gravity points and combined volume, and target my grain bill for that gravity. Between that and above spreadsheet I was able to hit numbers pretty reliably on both beers.

You could build the full recipe then run it through braukaiser's partigyle calculator and then build a recipe for the second beer and most brewing software or websites will give you the color and other details.

Back