Particles in aged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhermit

Reaction score
OK this isn't a homebrew, but I imagine this could happen with a homebrew so I think it's an appropriate question. I just popped open a year old bottle of La Rulles Tripel that I had in my fermenter. Unlike most yeast sediment, this seems to stay in suspension. Could this be a protein haze? I've seen this before with another aged beer of mine, a Widmer Bro's Bourbon Ale. Doesn't seem to effect the flavor or mouthfeel, but I'm curious as to what it is? The fermenter does go through temperature changes and I'm wondering if that could be messing with my aged bottles.

IMG_1922.jpg

Yeast sediment.It can be chunky like that.Autolized yeast also if it has an old yeasty taste to it. A well conditioned beer should have a tight yeast cake,if it gets jostled around you get floaties,sometimes older beers have to be handled more carfully,sometimes you pick them up and can see it floating an inch or two above the botttem without being disturbed if thats the case you may have a kind of old tasting beer.

Back