Partial to a Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjsyrax

Reaction score
Recipie advice needed!

Hi All,

As many people in on this forum do, I'm moving up the homebrew ladder and trying my first Partial Mash this weekend (I'll do AG next, just waiting till x-mas to get a big brew pot;new baby, 1 income etc etc..)

I've read through some recipes and got some ideas, I really want tot make a brew in the style of a Brown Porter sweet and malty, but keeping things very low on the IBU scale (around 20). I also want to have a slight hint of vanilla and cinnamon, nothing like a holiday beer, but something slight coming through the taste/aroma.

I"d love to get anyone's thoughts / critique / recommendations on the below recipe:

(I'm in Australia , so I've converted to Imperial for majority of viewers)

Mash

Munich - 2.75lb
Malted Oats - 1.1lb
CaraMalt (60L) - 1.1lb
Crystal 120 - 0.5lb
Chocolate - 0.5lb

Extract

Light LME - 3.3lb

Hops

EK Goldings - 0.7lb @ 60 mins
EK Golidings - 0.7lb @ 20 mins

Other

Saf-04 or US-05
1 x Cinnamon stick - boil at 5 mins
2 x Vanilla pods in the secondary

My BrewR app has this coming out at:

6 Gal batch - 1.042 OG, 20.5 IBU, 29.3 SRM and a FG of 1.011 (4.2% ABV)

I'll mash on the high end of temperature range to get a sweeter wort, and from what I read about partials, will only need 30-45 minutes.* After that it will be fairly straight forward brewing.

Thanks again

- Phil -

Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up. Reads ok on my end, but I did copy and paste from an email on my phone...

Back