Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afreitag

Reaction score
Im going to try my first partial mash. Im a bit confused on how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes but ive only done extract brews. This will be my first partial mash.

Ok good.

All a partial mash really is is an extract brew with steeping grains.

Heat x amount of water to x temp for x time and steep grains. (x will depend on recipe) Discard grains. Proceed the same as you would an extract brew using steeped grain water.

That's really it. There are some variations on steeping techniques like amount of water used, temps, yadda yadda, but this is more or less the process.

The grains get soaked in hot water for the prescribed amount of time, and then you remove the grains, preferably rinsing them with more hot water.

This water is then boiled and hops and extract added at prescribed times.

I use a BIG stainless strainer to "rinse" the grains by passing the "wort" back and forth between 2 pots through the screen and grains.

Ok sweet. That makes more sense then what the directions said. Thank you!

Just out of curiosity, what's the recipe you're using? I've sometimes seen recipes listed as "partial mash" even though there's really no mashing going on and its really just steeping. So long as you've got some sort of base malt in your recipe that will need mashed (2-row, 6-row, pilsner, maris otter, etc), then its a true partial mash. Doing a partial mash its suggested to take about an hour normally to make sure everything gets converted. If its just crystal or dark malts, then its more of a steep and no mashing, so you can save a little time.

Here's the write-up I used when I started doing partial mashes. Assuming you've got a pot already, the only other piece of equipment you'd need is a $5 paint strainer bag from Home Depot. I know pictures always tend to make a little more sense to me, as far as the actual process. Hope that helps!

I been leading up to this process myself and I been just seeping a pound of crush grain in my extract kits, but you would be better off as was suggested to also sparge/rinse the grains with the hot 170 degree water. So I suppose I don't sparge yet just because I need a big strainer and an extra large pot to hold the sparge water in but I will be buying that stuff soon.

Good Luck!

Ah, yeah then you'll definitely have to mash it. Looks like its got about 3lb of grain, so add 4-5qts of water and keep it at whatever the recommended mash temp is (probably around 152 or so) for an hour. Then strain the grains out, either with a colander/strainer or paint strainer bag, and you can top off with water and boil like normal. If you're doing the paint strainer bag and have another pot, you can dunk the grains in the second pot with some water to rinse some more of the sugars out. Or if you're using a strainer you can put that above the pot you boil in and just pour some water over it. Both will get you a little more sugar out of the mash and up your gravity a little. Depending on how much you boil you can either add your extract at the beginning or save some until towards the end (do a search for late extract additions if that doesn't make sense). Good luck!

I really love that PM kit! My good friends make it about 4 times per year. Sometimes they make it "as is", and other times they add some wild rice to the mash. It's really good, and I love "helping" them drink it!

The instructions in that kit are very good- so follow them! The instructions are perfect for the amount of grain and the types of grain they send you in the kit. Once you're very comfortable (like my friends), you can vary the recipe if you want. But overall, it's a good kit with excellent instructions so just follow the tutorial in the instructions.

Good luck! That's obviously their take on New Glarus Spotted Cow. A very tasty beer indeed.

Just got done brewing it. The instructions said OG 1.042. When I measured mine it was 1.046. Will that make a difference???

Okay this thread has inspired me to make this my next batch to brew. My question though is, does northern brewer send the grain bill already crushed? Or do I need a means to crush it when it arrives? Also, would it be a good idea to do a starter the the Safale 05? I've never done dry yeast before so just asking.

When you order from NB, there is a drop menu that asks if you want the grains crushed and you just check yes.

Back