Partial Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustLooking

Reaction score
Twice today I saw this term being used. Once in an HBT article and again in a post.

Is this a real term or just people confusing the terminology?

They seem to think it's what I've always heard termed as Extract with Steeped Grains. "Partial Mash" makes sense. You're getting part of you fermentables for mashing. "Partial Extract" sounds like a confusing bastardization of that term. At best it defines the same thing.

From my experience it goes like this:
Pre-Hopped Extract
Extract
Extract w/ Steeped Grains
Partial Mash
All Grain

Will this be a case of the internet rule that if something is repeated enough times it becomes true? Or has someone with creditability come up with it?

Google turns up pretty much nothing at this point.

The norm is to call it, "extract with specialty grains", when the grains are steeped to extract color and flavor.
Not everything that is written is exact. I'll bet what I just wrote is not exact either.

I had the exact same interpretation as the OP. I'd never heard the term "Partial Extract" before, and like him, it seems to me it would mean the same thing as "partial mash." After all, if a brew is a "partial mash," then what's the other part? Extract, obviously. So it could just as accurately be described as a "partial extract" brew (with the other "part," concordantly, being mash).

Though I've never before heard the term "Partial Extract," what's wrong with it?

What if you get the vast majority of your fermentables from mash, and just a little from extract? Like maybe when you miss your OG a little low and supplement with DME? Or like when you BIAB and your system will only allow so much grain so you know you're going to need a pound or three of extract to get to that Imperial gravity you want?

Seems like "partial extract" might be more accurate in those cases?

Partial extract kind of seems like it could mean either steeping grains or mashing to some. Not as accurate, in my mind, as partial mash. I did come up with some abbreviations a while back though.
E/SG = Extract with Steeping grains
PB/PM BIAB = Partial Boil, Partial Mash Brew In A Bag
AE = All Extract ( hey, I figured they have AG for All Grain, so why not all extract too)?

The norm is to call it, "extract with specialty grains", when the grains are steeped to extract color and flavor.
Not everything that is written is exact. I'll bet what I just wrote is not exact either.

this is what the kit that i received with beginner class was called (at LHBS)

Yes, today's (6-8-15) HBT cover article uses this term, and explains the difference between partial mash and partial extract. But I agree with the above posts that the article is using the wrong, or at least very unusual, terminology.

Really you guys haven't heard of it? Because I started with "partial extract" recipes myself. It's not "partial mash" because you aren't mashing anything, just steeping the specialty grains. Partial mash means you are mashing only small amounts of grain and getting the rest from extract (I never did it because it didn't seem worthwhile, either make the jump or don't).

I've done partial mash with as little as some 2lbs of grains. But my newer recipes are more like 8.5 to 8.7lbs with only about 2lbs of extract. It can be any amounts that work. But I agree that partial extract seems more like steeping grains in my mind...:mug:

Latest posts

Back