Partial boil + floor temp water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to brew a batch and cannot have refrigirated water as my habit. My question is: Do I will have contamination issues if I use 7L of boiling water to add LME and complete 20L volume with room temperature water. Im thinking about closing the fermenter and let this cool overnight before pitching yeast.

Thank

You do what you have to do. And there is always a chance of contamination whether it be the water or some dust getting into the air that falls in while your container is open. Some even suggested that their own breath contaminated their beer going into the FV. So take what ever steps that seem worth the effort to mitigate the chance of getting a infection.

Seems like you could simply boil the other water ahead of time and let it cool to use as top off water. Whether that's less of a chance for contamination of your beer than not boiling is just any guess.

Hi,

Thank for fast reply. Im not so scared about completing volume with unboiled water. Always did that without issues. I was more scared about letting beer cool overnight. Did somebody has tried?

Oh.... well there are plenty of people that do what is generally referred to as "no-chill brewing". Just do some searches on that here and with whatever your favorite search engine is.

I'm in too big a hurry to get my wort in the FV, so I've never tried that. A coil of copper tubing from the big box building supply stores just makes it too easy to DIY a chiller.

Hi,

Thank for fast reply. Im not so scared about completing volume with unboiled water. Always did that without issues. I was more scared about letting beer cool overnight. Did somebody has tried?
I've done this several times with no problems. As @hotbeer mentioned, there's a lot of info about on this site. Go for it, I say. Good luck!

Hi,

A bunch of us have tried letting the wort cool overnight. Most of the time it works fine. Put a lid on the kettle to keep bacteria from just settling into the cooling wort or better yet, if you have an HDPE bucket, pour the boiling hot wort into that and put the lid on immediately. That will sanitize both the bucket and the lid. Make sure the lid has an airlock so it can let air in as the wort cools and to be extra safe, fill that airlock with Star San or vodka.

Back