partial BIAB for parti-gyle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jro238

Reaction score
Hey all,

I posted this a week or so ago in all grain and didn't get any replies so I'm going to give it a try in here :)

I'm planning on brewing an imperial cherrywood smoked saison (shooting for something like matt's burning rosids from stone). This is a 10.5% beer so i'll be mashing 10# pils, 3# cherrywood smoked malt, 2# wheat, and 1# munich (adding 2lb sugar later on to get the rest of the gravity points).

I'm thinking that this might be a good opportunity to do a parti-gyle brew and re-mash with a few more pounds of 2-row to make a normal saison. The only problem with this plan is the cherrywood smoked malt. Would it work to keep the smoked malt in a bag which I would put into the cooler mash-tun for the imperial saison mash and then take out for the second mash (leaving the rest of the grain in the cooler)? I know that I would probably still get some flavor in the second mash, but not nearly as much. Would I get proper conversion through the bag?

Thanks!

If you don't want smoke to carry over into the second brew, you may want to mash it separately. That's an awful lot of smoked malt though.

If you don't want smoke to carry over into the second brew, you may want to mash it separately. That's an awful lot of smoked malt though.

Not a bad idea to do a separate mash--hadn't thought of doing it that way. I might also step the smoked malt back a bit. Morebeer suggested to use between 10 and 20% and this is currently about 16.7% of the grain bill.

Back