Parti-gyle Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbred

Reaction score
I am planning my first parti-gyle attempt. I am planning on making an American Barleywine from the first runnings and an American Pale Ale from the second. Due to my small living space I am only doing 1 gallon batches.

Recipes:

Barleywine first runnings
5 lb Maris Otter
3 oz Crystal 60L
Mash at 150 for 70 min

90 min boil
0.5 oz Cascade @ 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 5 mion

US-05

OG:1.098
FG: 1.019
IBU:90

American Pale second runnings

0.25 oz Cascade @ 15 min
0.75 oz Cascade @ 5 min
US-05
1 oz Dry Hop Cascade for 5 days

OG:1.048
FG:1.009
IBU:36

Can anyone with parti-gyle experience chime in and let me know if there is something I have overlooked or should be aware of before I attempt this. Recipe comments are welcome as well!

I am planning my first parti-gyle attempt. I am planning on making an American Barleywine from the first runnings and an American Pale Ale from the second. Due to my small living space I am only doing 1 gallon batches.

How'd it turn out? I want to do a barley wine parti-gyle soon...

The parti-gyle went pretty smooth. The second runnings were a lower ABV then planned. The pale ale was pretty good. Next time I think I will boost its ABV with some DME.

I haven't tried the barleywine yet. I am letting it age before I try it. I actually split the batch in two. One half I left alone and the other half I added bourbon soaked oak chips. I am saving the first tasting for new years eve.

If you have any questions about parti-gyle shoot me a pm and I will share what I did.

IMO parti-gyles only work well when you add extra malt to the grist, anticipating your 2nd runnings to be at a certain level. Fly sparging is probably the easiest way because you can divert or stop the flow when the first batch is at gravity. Or do the math (count points) when batch sparging.

However, I've noticed a drastic decrease in flavor in the 2nd runnings, not just the gravity difference. Steeping or mashing some extra malt will bring the flavor back up.

I've done a couple partigyle brews and never had a decent gravity for the second runnings. I pretty much don't do it anymore for that reason, among others.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It may have to do with the scale on which we operate compared to breweries'. If you have 100 barrels of mash, you can probably squeeze out 10-20 barrels of a decent gravity wort. That's only 20%, but still a large amount of "free" wort at those volumes. For us that would be one gallon on a batch of 5. It could be more using a higher grist bill from the get go.

Historically ESB wort was parti-gyled to create milds.

I've done a few, and I've learned to size my grain bill with a lower efficiency of 60% for the bigger beer. Then my small beer I assume will be at 35% with equal volume. My last batch i ended up with 65% and 30% calculated resultant efficiency, but I was greedy on the bigger beer and my volumes were 7.5 gallons and 6 gallons preboil, so not evenly split. I'm usually using 22 lbs grain which is my system max without going too thick.

I've only added grain once between lautering the big and small beers. But sometimes I have other additions. My last one was a Belgian Tripel and a Kolsch. The tripel got a honey addition. With my RIS, the smaller beer was a sweet/milk stout with a lactose addition. With a DIPA and APA, the DIPA gets some simple sugar to dry it out. So this type of recipe pairing has seemed to work well thus far for me. I'm thinking of a Weizenbock/Dunkelweissen pairing, but that one may need reduced volumes to achieve desired OGs.

I really like the method, because I like the variety and getting 2 beers from one (longer) brew day.

Back