Paracord Carboy handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
(as a forward, I am sorry for no pics. Windows 8 has not been nice for my cell-phones camera)

anyho, I had seriously thought about purchasing a carboy handle a few days ago, until I read that they where NOT load bearing, and thus, could not be used to lift a full carboy.

This was a disappointment, and today I decided to make uses of a 50 foot spool of paracord to make a handle of my own that WOULD be more load bearing.

here's how it worked. I made a zip-snare around the base of the bottom. I then made 4 half-hitches under to zip snare, making a grand total of 6 strands wrapping under the base of the glass indentation, which allows for a good distribution of pressure.

I then made a handle out of PVC with the cord going through it and tied off. It ended up making a quite capable handle

I know that this works quite well for moving a empty carboy, but will it work well for moving one that has 5 gallons of brew in it? I figure that the 6 strands of Paracord will be much softer on the glass than the metal carboy hauler.

(Be in mind that Ill probably be moving it with the assist of a rubber-grip enhanced glove)

I made a carboy cradle from nylon webbing sewn with fishing line of a similar geometry. As for the strength of 6 paracord strands you should be fine for a full 6gal carboy.

The only thing I'm having trouble picturing is how you made a single handle from PVC? So when the 6 lines come up vertically 3 go in the tube from each end so the tube is centered above the carboy?

Or do you mean that the tube is vertical with all 6 through and knotted on top? Personal preference (and the engineer in me) but I wouldn't like that. If your hand is at all wet it could slip. I'd rather count on my fingers staying bent to hold a handle than lots of friction (especially if you drink on brew day).

I made a carboy cradle from nylon webbing sewn with fishing line of a similar geometry. As for the strength of 6 paracord strands you should be fine for a full 6gal carboy.

The only thing I'm having trouble picturing is how you made a single handle from PVC? So when the 6 lines come up vertically 3 go in the tube from each end so the tube is centered above the carboy?

Or do you mean that the tube is vertical with all 6 through and knotted on top? Personal preference (and the engineer in me) but I wouldn't like that. If your hand is at all wet it could slip. I'd rather count on my fingers staying bent to hold a handle than lots of friction (especially if you drink on brew day).

ohh sorry about that. when the half hitches where done I just had 2 long strand of paracord. I stuck the cord into a cut piece of 1/2 inch PVC (with thick E-tape on the ends to give some extra grip and E-tape on the inside to remove the plastic edges). I tend tied a triangle shaped knot of sorts and sealed it off with a lighter (and then wrapped in E-tape to make sure it stayes tied, tho its in a very stiff knot and doesn't look like its going anywhere.

that could be a problem, tho Ill be wearing my rubber gloves just as a precaution so it should be a huge problem.

Rubber grips PVC very well

Back