Pale Ale Recipe template for experimenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
I'm trying to branch out and start learning how to create my own recipes now. I thought I'd start by taking a pale ale recipe to use as a base (probably the BCS recipe) and messing around with the hop schedule. The recipe calls for pale lme, wheat lme, and Munich lme. My lhbs doesn't have Munich lme, so I am assuming I'd probably have to do a partial mash. Then I am thinking, if I have to do a partial mash, why not also mash the wheat since the recipe only calls for .5 lb of each? How would I go about this?

I too have recently begun adventuring into making recipes. Use brew toad for sure, helps calculate ibus abv fg and og for you.

I've also read that starting everything off with light dme and specialty grains is the way to go. At least that way you know exactly went into your creation. Too hard and too much effort to find out who puts what n all other extracts IMO.

As far as hops go, use whatever you want. Use American hops for American pale ale Nd vice versa for English pale ales. I've been starting with the Cs and working my way from there, cascade, circa, Centennial, chinook and whatnot. Hope this helps!

I too have recently begun adventuring into making recipes. Use brew toad for sure, helps calculate ibus abv fg and og for you.

I've also read that starting everything off with light dme and specialty grains is the way to go. At least that way you know exactly went into your creation. Too hard and too much effort to find out who puts what n all other extracts IMO.

As far as hops go, use whatever you want. Use American hops for American pale ale Nd vice versa for English pale ales. I've been starting with the Cs and working my way from there, cascade, circa, Centennial, chinook and whatnot. Hope this helps!

Thanks. I think I'm also going to try the bud light dry hopping experiment too so I have a better idea of the flavors and aromas from different hops

Latest posts

Back