Pale ale initial fermentation temp too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
So I pitched a pale ale over the yeast cake of my last pale ale right after bottling it.

initial wort temp was 70 but then i added about a gallon of cold water which brought it down to 68ish (this was around 11pm-midnight)

this morning around 10 am I looked and the temp sticker was at 72, and some blowoff coming through my blowoff tube. i quickly moved the carboy to my basement which is significantly cooler ambient temp wise and about an hour later checked and the temp was up to 74!

i literally just filled a bucket with cold tap water and placed carboy inside wrapping it with a towel to wick the water up over the whole carboy and within 20 min its temps are back to 68 or so

did the timeframe of high temps screw my beer? or will I be ok?

with it being a yeast cake, the character of the yeast was mostly set already. it's during the growth phase of the yeast when temp mostly affects it, so you should be ok

Even at 74 degrees it's not the end of the world. I've fermented higher than that and had amazing results. Depending on what kind of yeast you used and the flavor you would like, maybe a warmer ferm temp is preferred anyways.

Your beer is ruined..... Send it to me and I shall scavenge 3 or 4 bottles of fine brew for you and send it back.

okay whew.. i looked now and the temp dropped to 64 so i took off the wet towel and removed it from the tub of water... we'll see where temp goes now, hopefully itll ramp back up and hold around 68

Back