Pale Ale hop help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bueschen

Reaction score
I am hoping for some feedback as to what hop combo to use based on my current stock.
I am planning a simple extract pale ale.

21 Liter (5.5gal) batch with an 11 Liter (2.9gal) 60 min boil

2.5kg (5.5lbs) Light DME
0.5kg (1.1lbs) Amber DME

0.5kg (1.1lbs) CaraMunich II (Steeping)

Safale US-05

Brewer's Friend gives me an OG of 1.055 and an FG of 1.015 for an ABU of 5.18%

So here is my current stock of (all pellets) hops:
100 grams (3.5oz) Perle - 10%AA
40 grams (1.4oz) Citra - 13.5%AA
Lots of Fuggles - 4.1%AA
Lots of EKG - 5.2%AA
Lots of Willamette - 6%AA

So what do you all think a good combo would be?

A tiny amount of Perle for bittering followed by late additions of EKG and Fuggles, then a flameout addition of Willamette. No dryhop necessary. I wouldn't top off to 5.5 gallons though, maybe just 4 tops with less caramalts. Given the ingredients you have, this recipe is more suited toward the English style APA with that hop selection. Use an English yeast and you're set.

+1 Nothing wrong with dryhopping though. I would flavor some with EKG and Citra. Never used Perle though. I would do some First wort hopping as well.Probably with some citra at least but probably a combo.
I was kinda thinking also: Citra and perle just for the boil then the english hops just for dryhopp. Not only are they english but great aroma hops as well.

That's too much CaraMunich- cut it half, at least. With the amber extract (which also has crystal malt in it it), you're way way above a good level for an EPA (English pale ale). I think EPA, because fuggles and EKG and willamette will make a great pale ale, and the citra and perle can be used another time for an American pale ale.

I'd use the EKG, mostly, just because I like it more than fuggles. But willamette is very nice as well.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I will gear it more towards the EPA as I have some Safale S-04 on hand.

Agree on English style ale...perhaps with Fuggles and EKG in the boil and an oz of Citra dry hop. I think that will be tasty. Let us know how it turns out!

Back