Pale Ale Critique, Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic218

Reaction score
I got this idea somewhere and now I can't seem to find the source.
I want to know what you think since I made some minor adjustments to it.
I'm just getting started and only have 3 batches under my belt(one solo) so any guidance would be appreciated.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 1056
Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Size: 5.5 gal
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 55.12
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.0
Primary Fermentation: 7-14
Secondary Fermentation: 7-14
Bottle Condition: 14-21

Fermentables:
6.50lb Pale LME
1.25lb Vienna
0.75lb Carapils
0.50lb Sucrose

Hops:

.75oz Citra - 60min
.75oz Citra - 15min
.75oz Citra - 5min
.75oz Citra - 0min
2.00oz Citra - Dry hop 10 days

This looks pretty good to me. The only things I'd suggest are:

-Get rid of either the carafoam or the carapils (they are the same thing, simply trademarked under different names by Weyermann and Briess, respectively). You'll be fine with .75 lbs of one or the other.

-Consider adding another ounce to your dry hop. One is going to be okay, but I often dry hop my PAs with 2-3 ounces.

Edited.

Upped the dry hop to 2oz, dropped the carafoam and upped the carapils from .75lb to 1.00lb

Malt extracts are generally mashed in the medium-body temperature range to keep some dextrins around, and most times contain some crystal and carapils already - especially the US malt extracts. I would consider 1/2 lb of carapils to be plenty in an extract recipe - you won't have any problem with body and/or head retention.

Otherwise, it looks good to me - if you like citra (I do). I don't generally dry hop my pale ales but it's strictly a personal preference thing. IPA's, on the otherhand, I DO dry hop very well.

The Jamil Show on The Brewing Network has an hour long podcast devoted to American Pale Ales and their brewing. Worth the time

Vienna needs to be mashed. If not mashing, I'd use a pound of crystal (40L or 60L) and drop both the Vienna and the Carapils.

Hops: I'm not sure the 30 minute addition is buying you anything (no flavor, and little bitterness).

If you like dry hopped beers, then go for the 2 ozs. I think dry hop aromas fade quick, and I prefer to add hops at 0 mins, around 175 F and steep for 30 minutes or more. But if dry hop is what you want, then go for it.

Extracts tend to end with high FG. I'd recommend replacing a half or pound of extract with sugar. Sugar is 100% fermentable, so will help lower the FG by a couple of points making the beer less sweet.

Back