Pale Ale and French Onion Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brehuh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am making French onion soup and using Alton Brown's recipe:

5 sweet onions (like Vidalias) or a combination of sweet and red onions (about 4 pounds)
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white wine
10 ounces canned beef consume
10 ounces chicken broth
10 ounces apple cider (unfiltered is best)
Bouquet garni; thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley tied together with kitchen string
1 loaf country style bread
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper
Splash of Cognac (optional)
1 cup Fontina or Gruyere cheese, grated

I made it once before with Gewurztraminer and it was way too sweet. This time I was thinking of using some mead and some Saranac Pale Ale in place of the wine.

What do you think?

I used to make the French Onion Soup at Deschutes Brewery.....every freaking day.........

I don't see any garlic in yours and I used Red Wine.

I wouldn't put beer in a soup unless I did so right before I served it and never over a flame. Unless you want to add bitterness that is.

Homebrew and French Onion Soup?! Holy Moses you're place is going to reek of a$$. Hope SWMBO has some too so she can fight back!

I usually love ABs recipes, but I absolutely hated this one. If I remember correctly, it was way too sweet. I would look at reducing or eliminating the apple cider, and certainly add some garlic.

Back