Pairing Beer and Mesquite Smoked Meats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiffBiffman

Reaction score
Howdy Folks! I am having a party this coming weekend and would like to select beers that will pair well with the following menu:

• Mesquite Smoked Brisket
  • Mesquite Smoked Pulled Pork
  • Spicy Cole Slaw
  • Mustard Potato Salad
  • Boracho (Drunken) Beans (Pinto Beans, Jalapeño, Onion, Tomato Smoked Bacon and of course beer).

I would like a couple of commercial beers that I can buy in bulk as we will have 40+ adults in attendance. I also have some home brew that I can do some tastings with in small amounts.
  • Coffee Porter
  • Oatmeal Stout
  • Dry Irish Stout
  • Belgian IPA
  • Blood Orange Belgian Wit (recipe courtesy of Toecutter)
  • Aged Dubel and Tripel

I am really looking forward to your thoughts!

brisket with stout or bock would be tasty, shiner bock comes to mind since its from texas and should be easy to find. The more hop bitterness a beer has, the livelier the meal needs to be. id avoid your coffee porter, but the oatmeal or dry irish might be nice.
How are you doing the pulled pork sauce or no sauce?
A higher % beer will bring the spiciness out in the slaw but sweetness will soften spiciness.
I hate mustard anything so i have no idea what to drink with it. imo anything will make it taste better. sorry im not more help.
Nor have i had drunken beans but they look awesome.

You could even try some sours or lambics, i really like liefmans goudenband , the acidity and sourness are just right imo for beef. A sweeter sour could go well with the pork but ive never tried it. only problem is how adventurous people are and this stuff could hurt the wallet i can't imagine a case being cheap but liefmans comes in the 750ml bottles so its like 2~3 beers a bottle.

Excellent suggestions, thank you for the responses. I was thinking Shiner Bock or St Arnolds Amber Ale.

We will have barbeque sauce available, but if anyone is using it, I failed at making great Texas barbeque.

I had the impression that sauce was blasphemous in that part of the county, I guess my memory was right haha.
If you have a salty/sweet profile on the pork a malt forward beer will have even more malt sweetness, could be interesting how they'd pair.
Glad we could help! Have fun at your party!

Back