Paintball CO2 tank O-Ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I finally used my portable kegging system last week and it worked out great. Used a 70 quart Igloo cooler with a picnic tap and took my regulator off of my keezer and hooked it up to a 20oz paintball tank.

When I hooked up the paintball tank to the 'adapter' that fits the regulator it shoots co2 everywhere which stops as soon as it seals. When I got home to hook my regulator back up to the keezer the same thing happened. Only this time the paintball tank o-ring was destroyed. I think it was from the cold gas?

Is there something that I'm missing here? I don't think that there's a valve on the paintball tank to just stop the gas.

Yes it was from the seal freezing, was it a black rubber one? If so just buy the neoprene white ones, they hold up much better it will still eventually happen but not as fast.

Yes it was from the seal freezing, was it a black rubber one? If so just buy the neoprene white ones, they hold up much better it will still eventually happen but not as fast.

I can't even remember what color it was to be honest but I think it was black. It's white now.

I have another on order.

if you depressurize the line downstream of the tank your orings will love you
Also, try cracking the tank just enough to vent the c02 (let it leave the lines) then continue unscrewing the tank
if you start to unscrew the tank, take it all the way off. then put it back on. Don't back out a revolution or two then put it back in.

urethane orings will for the most part make the above completely unnecisary:

You want urethane orings for best protection from the frozen c02 effect

http://www.ansgear.com/100_Pack_CO2_Tank_Orings_Urethane_p/oringtankur100.htm

They wont deform the way the black ones do and get cut up from the threads.

I've got the white o-rings on my paintball tank, bought a pack at Dick's when I grabbed the tank. I've only refilled the tank once, the first time it sealed no problem but the second time it leaked a bit even with an intact o-ring. I put a tiny bit of keg lube on the o-ring and it sealed right up.

zachattack got it. a bit of keg lube helps a lot. Also if you let the o ring warm up a bit before you spin it back on it will shrink back to its original size.

Latest posts

Back