Paintball co2 tank & mini regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johow

Reaction score
Anyone tried this Williams Brewing Mini Regulator? It seems designed to work with a paintball cartridge and I'm thinking of using it with the 20oz co2 bottle. It also has a check valve in the output to prevent beer from backing into the regulator. I'm trying to keep this system as small as possible to share the fridge with our food and other stuff. Currently I use a single shelf to store about a case worth of bottles. The plan is to start bottling in 3 litre soda bottles, naturally carbed and then dispensed with this paintball tank and regulator. A couple of the 3 litre bottle plus this regulator/tank shouldn't take any more space than a case of beer bottles. Also I want a system that I can bag up and take away from home. Just wondering if anyone has used this regulator and how was it. I've read mixed reviews on some of the minis due to inconsistencies adjusting the pressure.
So thanks for your help...

image.jpeg

I have one and love it! I use it to dispense beer by my pool or in my cul-de-sac. It's extremely adjustable and holds whatever pressure you set it for. It's cool how it bleeds off the extra pressure when you lower it.

Very good, thanks doc! It looks like just exactly what I need so I'm gonna go ahead and order one.

i have a similar one that uses 74g co2 cartridges. im using it with a growler tap on 6L PET bottles in my fridge. works great.

I picked up some 2.75 litre soft drink bottles today. This is the method I plan to use, and thanks to C.D. Pritchard for puting this informative tutorial up here on the interwebs. I have ordered the brass parts to assemble the bottle cap and I should have everything next week and will do some testing before I fill with beer. I Have been trying to brew for the last couple of days but even though I am retired, I have not found the time. Now I won't get it done until after the 4 th of July holiday. Looking forward to having a small and perhaps portable keg system.

Another question I have for you most ingenious beer experimenters is, can this type of drink bottle/keg be used while laying down on it's side. I could use it standing up but it would be much more convenient to use while lieing on it's side.
Thanks a bunch!!!

Another question I have for you most ingenious beer experimenters is, can this type of drink bottle/keg be used while laying down on it's side. I could use it standing up but it would be much more convenient to use while lieing on it's side.
Thanks a bunch!!!

Yes, The 6L bottles I use have a rounded bottom and are designed to lay on their side. You just need to be sure the dip tube curves toward the side that is the bottom as it is on its side.

New 2.5 gallon corny kegs are available for about $75. Using a plastic keg and making your own top for it will be cheaper, but in the long run, will it work like you want it to with a minimum of trouble?

New 2.5 gallon corny kegs are available for about $75. Using a plastic keg and making your own top for it will be cheaper, but in the long run, will it work like you want it to with a minimum of trouble?

Not sure about that but it won't cost much to find out. If not then I'll look at some sort other of keg option. I bought 6 2.5 litre bottles, under a buck each and the cap will be under $15 to make. I am certainly a big DIY fan as we all seem to be or we wouldn't be brewing beer so in that spirit....

Well, it was a little more than $15 for the cap because I screwed the 1st one up but here it is and it works great. I modified the design I started with because I couldn't seem to solder the brass connections. This one doesn't require any soldering. I just did a leak test with soapy water and nothing leaks and it pours water just fine. I have a couple brews fermenting now so when bottling time comes, they'll go in soda bottles. I've been looking for the 3 litre size but have not found them though I did buy some 2.75 litre and may down the road go for some of the TAD 6 litre bottles.
Well here's what I have and it should fit nicely in a small ice chest or cooler or bag of some kind for portability. The regulator works great too though I could see that it will be easily bumped and the pressure changed. It doesn't have much resistance when turning the knob.

image.jpg

I have found 3 litre sodas at Dollar Tree stores.

Yeah, I looked at my local dollar tree store and they had 2.5 litre bottles. Pretty close but I thought I'd look some more. I found some 2.75 litre bottles in a nearby town. One of these days I'll either buy some 5 gallon kegs or get some of the TAD 6 litre bottles.

Back