Paint in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChugachBrewing

Reaction score
I recently got a couple new 10 gallon corny kegs and one of them appear to have a coating paint on the inside of it, either the inside with painted over the keg at one point maybe held paint. Has anyone heard of this? Anyway to clean it out? I don't want to die.

Weird. No, never heard of paint being inside a beer keg. I'm assuming like you that someone probably stored paint in it. The good news is that you will probably be able to get it out if you disassemble the keg and use a chemical paint stripper. They're usually pretty caustic so use it in a well ventilated area and wear gloves/protective eyewear.

I think it goes without saying that after the paint is removed, you'll need to flush out that keg really really well. I would wash it out several times before letting it soak full of PBW water overnight, then flush it out again.

Thanks, i'll give it a whirl. It's peeled off 50% of the keg. i saved some samples to get them tested (although I'm not sure where I'd do that). I'll try the citristrip, thanks for the tip!

might have stored paint or some other material. I have seen people using corny's in an industrial setting before as a sprayer or for storage of something.

Back