Packaging Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

widsith

Reaction score
My wife has a friend in another state who grows hops. She has offered to send us some. My questions for the collective are:

How to package it for shipping? Ziplock inside a padded envelope?

How to store? Vacuum-seal and freeze in packages of a few oz each?

How much whole flower compares to how much pellet?

I'm not sure what variety it is at this time. I assume she knows, but if not is there anyway to identify them?

Thanks

Ziplock bag should be fine. Squeeze (compress) the hops as much as possible (will make it smaller). No real reason for padded envelope, but would help. Maybe use a small box.

Store: Vacuum sealed in freezer.

Supposedly pellets are 10% more effective than dries flowers. I generally ignore the difference and treat them the same. There are so many other variables that make this minimal.

Are these fresh or dried? Someone else with more experience may have better information, but if they are fresh, you need to use about 5 times as much as dried hops. Fresh hops are popular in 'Harvest' beers.

Without expensive equipment there is almost no-way to determine what the hops are.

Calder said:
Ziplock bag should be fine. Squeeze (compress) the hops as much as possible (will make it smaller). No real reason for padded envelope, but would help. Maybe use a small box. Store: Vacuum sealed in freezer. Supposedly pellets are 10% more effective than dries flowers. I generally ignore the difference and treat them the same. There are so many other variables that make this minimal. Are these fresh or dried? Someone else with more experience may have better information, but if they are fresh, you need to use about 5 times as much as dried hops. Fresh hops are popular in 'Harvest' beers. Without expensive equipment there is almost no-way to determine what the hops are.
I imagine they will be fresh. I don't think my friend is drying them. If I want them dried, I will have to dry them myself.

Def dry them 1st. An old screen door & a small fan will do nicely. I'd vacuum pack them in 1oz packets. I use 1oz whole leaf to 1oz pellets,as the difference is minimal. But generally,I've found that pellets are better for bittering,whole leaf excells at flavor & aroma usage.

Latest posts

Back