Pacific Jade Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHawk

Reaction score
I always like to search in depth before starting a new topic. I've found old information on Pacific Jade being used in a Saison style ale and the descriptions are not very in depth. I've never used this hop before.
I have a harvest of Belle Saison yeast which produced a beer consisting of complex, spicy flavors including black pepper. This yeast finished 1.047 down to 1.002. The hop is described as having smooth bittering properties and imparting a pepper flavor with citrus.

Has anyone had experience using Pacific Jade in a Saison and what were your flavor contribution impressions?

I've used it in the following Saison:

4.00 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain
3 lbs Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [3.8%] - Boil 70 min Hops
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.9%] - Boil 60 min Hops
1.00 oz St. Celeia (Golding) [4.5%] - Boil 30 min Hops
1.00 oz Pacific Jade [15.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops
1 pkgs Farmhouse (Wyeast #3726) Yeast
1 lbs Orange Blossom Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar

THis was a really fantastic beer - about 5-6 of us sucked down a half keg one afternoon at a music festival last summer. Obviously it didn't use a ton of pacific jade, but I picked it because of it's flavor descriptors, slightly peppery and more toward an orange-type citrus flavor.

I got a nice dry, earthy flavor from the yeast, with a slight touch of pepper from the hops, the two complimented each other very nicely. This is the only time I've used it, so I don't have much more to go on, but I can tell you this beer was one of the best of many saisons I've made. Highly recommended. Let me know if you make it!

Back