PA hop choice for my wife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laughingboysbrew

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my wife does not share the same bitter/hopp'd up taste buds I have. I need to make her a beer that she likes to continue to justify the discretionary income diversion... (ok, maybe not that bad) I don't want to lager a beer. Thinking pale ale that is low IBU, but still has some good flavor/aroma. Just for perspective, she likes budlight lime, so I'm not setting the bar high on the flavor either. I'll use beersmith to do my calc's...any suggestions on a good flavor hop for her? Thinking citrusy, the northwest C's, etc. It'll probably be a SMaSH with 2-row for simplicity.

Thanks

Are there any pale ales she likes?

Ha... no, none. Otherwise, I might try a clone of something. I think it's the bitterness. Though, she hated the stout I made as well... (poured out of a cask with beer engine... she doesn't know how spoiled she could be). So I'm thinking I just need a pale base with barely any bittering and some flavor (be it from hop or fruit, etc). She does like some wheat beers, with an orange of course.

Raspberry Wheat or Hefe, and with Hallertau/Tettanang hops. balanced, tart/sweetness from the raspberry puree. Or try an India pale ale style, but with 1/2 the hops and you could still pull off that grapefruit citrus tinge to it without the bitterness. Sub out Nelson hops, just lower the amount like say 1.5-2oz at 50min, and then something like Mt Hood or Hallertau at the last 10 min for aroma finish and that way it's more subtle overall. Iron Fist makes a Nelson the Impaler it's not overly bitter and has that nice Grapefruit finish to it.

Nice. Thanks all. Wondering too if dropping my mash temp down a bit (148-150) might help as wells as slightly cooler ferm temp (65 ish) to reduce esters, etc. I have a hunch that the flavors from esters and bitterness are what she typically doesn't like.

I'd even think about an American Hefe with some "C" hops, just keep the IBU's low.

Nice. Thanks all. Wondering too if dropping my mash temp down a bit (148-150) might help as wells as slightly cooler ferm temp (65 ish) to reduce esters, etc. I have a hunch that the flavors from esters and bitterness are what she typically doesn't like.

Remember, ambient 65 is going to ferment in low 70's. I have my chest freezer set at 61, and my IPA is fermenting away at ~66 right now.

Maybe make a beer without a lot of hop character. It seems like you're trying to force her to like something she might never appreciate. Or ask her what she wants instead of a bunch of random a** people on the internet... If she can describe flavors she might like, you should be able to find or write a recipe she'll like.

Ha... no, none. Otherwise, I might try a clone of something. I think it's the bitterness. Though, she hated the stout I made as well... (poured out of a cask with beer engine... she doesn't know how spoiled she could be). So I'm thinking I just need a pale base with barely any bittering and some flavor (be it from hop or fruit, etc). She does like some wheat beers, with an orange of course.

I guess I don't understand why a pale ale would be desired for her, if she hates them.

Why not make a cream ale or something she would enjoy?

Or how about a Blue Moon clone? That might be exactly right.

I make cream ales with blueberry or strawberry flavoring a added in the summer for my girl friends who like fruit beers - just a thought- it's a nice easy drinking brew

Maybe make a beer without a lot of hop character. It seems like you're trying to force her to like something she might never appreciate. Or ask her what she wants instead of a bunch of random a** people on the internet... If she can describe flavors she might like, you should be able to find or write a recipe she'll like.

I wouldn't say "random a** people" as much as I would say quite a few experienced brewers that can provide valuable input. Though it is hard to say what someone else may like. Everyone pallet is different.

A cream ale or blonde with some Willamette or Tettnang or even Cascade sounds pretty tasty, simple, and enjoyable. maybe first wort hop for a mellow bitterness?

ive made this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/(2row, wheat, and flaked barley along with fresh grated tangerine peel and cracked coriander) with some US05 so it was neutral but still flavorful so that people who enjoy more mass-marketed beer enjoyed it

I guess I don't understand why a pale ale would be desired for her, if she hates them.

Why not make a cream ale or something she would enjoy?

Or how about a Blue Moon clone? That might be exactly right.

Agree, that's the goal. I should rephrase... she hasn't had a PA to-date that she likes, mainly because she's only sampled what I've had. Not trying to force her to like them, just trying to experiment within the style to see if I can achieve something we'll both like. Sort of a challenge.

I have already asked her for flavors she'd like before coming to the forum, hence my original question: hops to achieve citrus flavor with mellow bittering. In all fairness, the recipe I'm conjuring up fits a cream ale. Think I'm going to do a tiny bit magnum first wort and then late additions of Galaxy and Citra for flavor. 1.050, IBU:15, SRM:3.5

Thoughts?

That should be good, even if you up the flavor additions and the ibus push to 25-30 it will still be very fruity tasting with those hops. I think she'll like it, my 40 IBU all Citra APAs have been a hit with mixed crowds.

was thinking FWH for a smooth/light bitterness. then equal citra/galaxy at 5min and 0min. decided against dry hopping to avoid that hoppy/palette taste. however, I may rack first 5 gal to keg as is and then dry hop the hell out of the remaining batch for comparison. :) whattya think? brewing tomorrow.

cream.jpg

I know this isn't what you asked, but in the future what about a porter? My wife doesnt like Ipas but she loves porters. Just a suggestion.

So...I made 12gal batch with recipe close to the above screenshot. The bitterness worked out as planned, but it needed WAY more hop flavor... there was almost none... just bittered malt. however, the wife likes it. So, mission accomplished. With 'my half' of the batch, I dry hopped 1.0oz aus galaxy for 2 weeks and 1.0oz Citra for 1 week. Aroma is excellent and it has helped the flavor along, but the beginning malt flavor is still too bland/strong for my liking.

Going to experiment with making a tea from some specialty malt (cherrywood smoked malt.... tastes like bacon) and adding that in to the keg. It won't make it any less malty, but hoping it will add some depth to the pure 'pale malt' flavor that's there now. Will report back.

Back