P.I.D Settings help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tokoroa_Brewer

Reaction score
So I got an old freezer that I want to turn into a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. But I'm having a hell of a time setting up my P.I.D

I'm trying to set it up like this guy http://youtu.be/KtaLrs8ZVSo

I appear to have it wired correctly as both outputs work, just not when I want them to.

This is the P.I.D I have. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430192722.516663.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jesse

If you're confident the outputs are wired correct it is most likely something in the controller configuration. Possible it could be how outputs are configured heat/cool/alarm, deadbands, on/off vs PID output, etc. Do you have the manual?

That looks like a spec sheet, hopefully you have a manual to explain how to nav the setup menus and lists all options. For your needs it should be simple.

Set sensor type
Y1 heat
Y2 cool
Control on-off
hysteresis 1%-2% should be good for typical ferment temperatures

From what I can tell, ABCD would be hardware dependent but most likely
A = 3
B = 0 based on 1st post
C depends on your sensor type
D = 0

E = 1, assuming output on turns heat on (0% safety turns output off in the event of a sensor failure)
F = 1, assuming you want cooling
Group 1 SP.2 will be your cooling setpoint, probably the same as the heating setpoint or slightly lower (the controller might limit how close to the Y1 setpoint you can set Y2 setpoint)
Group 2, hysteresis I would start about 1-2%

The rest you can probably ignore unless you want to lock out config with a password or setup serial communications. Group 4 might be important if the controller is used and previous user changed the limits to numbers outside your intended range.

Cool. Thanks heaps guys. Will try setting again later on today. Hopefully with less swearing and frustration. Haha

Back