Oxygenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamBomb

Reaction score
Those of you that use pure O2 to oxygenate your wort. When you started using this method was there a noticeable difference in the favor of your beer.

Is it actually worth the money?

How does it compare to air (aquarium pump)?

Those little tanks you get at the hardware store don't last very long. Only turn the O2 on very low. I fine 1 minute works best for 5 gallon kits.

Those little tanks you get at the hardware store don't last very long. Only turn the O2 on very low. I fine 1 minute works best for 5 gallon kits.

They last quite a while if you adjust the flow properly. You do not want big bubbles breaking the surface. That way you are just putting the O2 in the air. What I do is put the stone about 1-2" below the surface and open the valve until I see bubbles. Then if you put the wand at the bottom you should barely see bubbles breaking the surface. More like a slight sparkle. This way the O2 is going into the beer and not the air.

I use to use an air pump. I now use straight O2. O2 is much quicker and causes less foaming. The pump works it just takes longer and since the source is air there is a limit to the amount of O2 that is dissolving in your wort.

I've gotten good results from both. In my book O2 is the way to go for time savings. I didn't notice much difference between O2 and air as far as the beers taste. I do think the O2 started up quicker, but that all I really noticed. I think you get more benefit from aeration vs not aerating than you get from aeration by pump vs aeration by O2.

I use to use an air pump. I now use straight O2. O2 is much quicker and causes less foaming. The pump works it just takes longer and since the source is air there is a limit to the amount of O2 that is dissolving in your wort.

I've gotten good results from both. In my book O2 is the way to go for time savings. I didn't notice much difference between O2 and air as far as the beers taste. I do think the O2 started up quicker, but that all I really noticed. I think you get more benefit from aeration vs not aerating than you get from aeration by pump vs aeration by O2.

Thank you Dolomieu, that is the kind of answer I was looking for. I realize aeration is important but didn't know if the extra expense for pure O2 ($50 plus disposable tanks) was that much better than one time investment of a $40 air setup.

No noticeable differences in flavor of the beer for me but my palate is far from educated. I got an O2 system for two reasons.

1: I like that the science seems to support the use of O2 resulting in more optimal oxygenation.

2: It is however primarily the convenience and reduced work load I like. No more shaking a heavy carboy full of wort. 60-90 seconds and oxygenation is complete.

Money well spent in my view.

Brewing is a hobby and I don't mind spending a bit here and there on it even if the return in terms of quality is minimal. Gizmos, gadgets and doodads are a great component of the hobby.

Edit: The $10 tanks last a long time. I'm still on my first one. 7 batches so far.

Oxygen1.jpg

No noticeable differences in flavor of the beer for me but my palate is far from educated. I got an O2 system for two reasons.

1: I like that the science seems to support the use of O2 resulting in more optimal oxygenation.

2: It is however primarily the convenience and reduced work load I like. No more shaking a heavy carboy full of wort. 60-90 seconds and oxygenation is complete.

Money well spent in my view.

Brewing is a hobby and I don't mind spending a bit here and there on it even if the return in terms of quality is minimal. Gizmos, gadgets and doodads are a great component of the hobby.

Edit: The $10 tanks last a long time. I'm still on my first one. 7 batches so far.

Gavin, thats the exact setup I was looking at. You have very strong points. I live in the middle of nowhere so its hard enough keeping spare propane,CO2,kerosene,etc much less another bottle of stuff cause if I run out its 50 miles to get more so I was thinking that an aquarium pump would be less dependent on a consumable tank BUT I do like my gadgets and the whole specialty mad scientist equipment thing.

Gavin, thats the exact setup I was looking at. You have very strong points. I live in the middle of nowhere so its hard enough keeping spare propane,CO2,kerosene,etc much less another bottle of stuff cause if I run out its 50 miles to get more so I was thinking that an aquarium pump would be less dependent on a consumable tank BUT I do like my gadgets and the whole specialty mad scientist equipment thing.

That is very true. The 02 is another consumable albeit minimally expensive. I guess if you make a very conservative estimate of 10 batches (5 gallons) per tank that is $1 per batch. If the tank runs out or; as happened to me, the wand came off the tubing into the wort, one can always revert to shaking the carboy.

The concern of running out of O2 can be solved with having a spare on hand (not a very large item to store but one more thing for sure). This is what I do but I'm still on the first tank I bought.

The wand coming off the hose was solved with two SS hose clamps and a piece of larger vinyl tubing over the smaller O2 hose. NB have added a clamp in this areas since I purchased mine.

That is very true. The 02 is another consumable albeit minimally expensive. I guess if you make a very conservative estimate of 10 batches (5 gallons) per tank that is $1 per batch. If the tank runs out or; as happened to me, the wand came off the tubing into the wort, one can always revert to shaking the carboy.

The concern of running out of O2 can be solved with having a spare on hand (not a very large item to store but one more thing for sure). This is what I do but I'm still on the first tank I bought.

The wand coming off the hose was solved with two SS hose clamps and a piece of larger vinyl tubing over the smaller O2 hose. NB have added a clamp in this areas since I purchased mine.

where did you get that setup (wand specifically) I have a stone and regulator.

where did you get that setup (wand specifically) I have a stone and regulator.

Northern brewer although I had to clamp the wand and tubing myself. The O2 tank is from Home depot

Edit. The stone and wand are fixed and came with the O2 regulator as a package.

FWIW I didn't notice a real improvement in beer flavor. I admit that about the time I started using O2 I also started using more dry yeast. According to the experts, dry yeast already has the sterol reserves for a few generations, so oxygenation is not required.

I don't have any liquid yeast, nor any O2 on hand right now to play with it some more. I have used O2 with the dry yeast and everything went well. Just not really any different from normal (dropping chilled wort from about 4 feet into fermentor.)

Is oxygenation w/ O2 tank necessary? I'd like to brew mainly tripels and quads.

I've always used a combination of splashing while pouring (into primary before yeast pitch), pouring throw a strainer, and using a whisk attachment on a hand-held electric mixer. I get 10+ inches of foam with the mixer (fills rest of fermentation bucket).

Is oxygenation w/ O2 tank necessary? I'd like to brew mainly tripels and quads.

I've always used a combination of splashing while pouring (into primary before yeast pitch), pouring throw a strainer, and using a whisk attachment on a hand-held electric mixer. I get 10+ inches of foam with the mixer (fills rest of fermentation bucket).

There really isn't anything in brewing that is necessary. there are LOTS of things that can be done different ways.

I chose an O2 system because I like to geek out on stuff and for bigger beers the extra O2 can really help out with attenuation.

Every experiment I've seen claims that direct O2 infusion puts more O2 in the wort than any form of aeration. Plus, for me, it's easier to do than mixing back and forth, shaking, stirring, etc. (Well maybe not stirring...)

It's a nice option to consider if/when you run out of other things to buy for the hobby. If you are happy with your beers now, then it's not a big deal IMO.

There really isn't anything in brewing that is necessary. there are LOTS of things that can be done different ways.

I chose an O2 system because I like to geek out on stuff and for bigger beers the extra O2 can really help out with attenuation.

Every experiment I've seen claims that direct O2 infusion puts more O2 in the wort than any form of aeration. Plus, for me, it's easier to do than mixing back and forth, shaking, stirring, etc. (Well maybe not stirring...)

It's a nice option to consider if/when you run out of other things to buy for the hobby. If you are happy with your beers now, then it's not a big deal IMO.

go ferris bull dogs! i went to ferris for awhile !

I'm about to buy an oxygenation system and think what I'll do to compromise between wasting money on using the O2 for every batch is to only use it on big beers (>1.070). Most of my beers are less than than (~1.060), but maybe 2 or 3 times a year, I do bigger beers, which I've read really benefit from the pure O2. That way a $10 tank should last me a few years.

All I brew is lagers in the 1.048-1.060 range and I was having trouble with them reaching the expected FG so I bought the Williams Brewing O2 kit and so far (3 batches) I'm getting the FG I'm looking for.

go ferris bull dogs! i went to ferris for awhile !

Go Dogs! they aren't as good this year in hockey. They've been nationally ranked for a couple seasons and had a hard time this year. Good conference. Michigan Tech swept them and Minn. State is #1. Ferris hosts them this weekend. They are still selling like crazy. I think they are sold out this weekend.

I'm about to buy an oxygenation system and think what I'll do to compromise between wasting money on using the O2 for every batch is to only use it on big beers (>1.070). Most of my beers are less than than (~1.060), but maybe 2 or 3 times a year, I do bigger beers, which I've read really benefit from the pure O2. That way a $10 tank should last me a few years.

Not a bad option. I just tend to use mine on every batch. Last batch I didn't have it and I wish I did. I brewed a lager and the extra O2 would have been handy for that!

All I brew is lagers in the 1.048-1.060 range and I was having trouble with them reaching the expected FG so I bought the Williams Brewing O2 kit and so far (3 batches) I'm getting the FG I'm looking for.

Lagers tend to need more yeast than the average ale. I'd want O2 on every lager batch just to increase the cell count. I pitched 2 packets of saflager in a 3 gallon batch last week because I didn't have O2. (although, again, the experts say aeration is not necessary for dry yeast...)

I use liquid yeast and reuse the slurry so I'm thinking a little extra O2 is probably a good thing to keep the yeast on the healthy side.

Thank you for the excellent and diverse info.

Does anybody know how the larger brewery's approach aeration? Dogfish, Lefthand, Sweet Water, Rouge, etc do they use manual aeration? Pure O2? Air?

Thank you for the excellent and diverse info.

Does anybody know how the larger brewery's approach aeration? Dogfish, Lefthand, Sweet Water, Rouge, etc do they use manual aeration? Pure O2? Air?

On the UC Davis system, they use air and inject it inline after the chiller. For your smaller OG beers, air would be better than nothing at all. Use a sterile filter (the kind sold for siphoning) and an aquarium pump...run it though an SS stone for about 30 minutes

All sounds interesting but I'm just getting started here so I am open to suggestions. I've surfed through lots of websites for supplies and finding pretty much the same price for the equipment. This one looks to be about 10 bucks cheaper because it is filtered air only, anyone have this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O8ZKO2W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
My feeling is if you are capable of shaking and pouring your batch, the air pumps are a waste of money. Here's what they said in "Yeast":
With plenty of headspace, a strong back, and lots of vigorous shaking, a home-brewer can get levels as high as 8 ppm into the wort. This is about the maximum using air. Using an aquarium pump with a sintered stone will not result in more than 8 ppm, even with extended times. In fact, extended aeration can be detrimental to the head formation and retention. The only way to reach the recommended 10 ppm minimum is with the addition of oxygen. Filling the headspace of the fermentor and shaking vigorously can result in dissolved oxygen levels past 10 ppm, but once you have bottled oxygen, it is much easier to use a sintered stone.
So to me, if you don't want to pay for an O2 setup, you can get just as good of results for free if you are strong enough :)

My feeling is if you are capable of shaking and pouring your batch, the air pumps are a waste of money. Here's what they said in "Yeast":
So to me, if you don't want to pay for an O2 setup, you can get just as good of results for free if you are strong enough :)

+1. Air stones are a benefit mostly to those who are unable to shake or pour.

O2 is where it's at.

And keep in mind that for most people Oxygenation is down on the list of things that will improve their beer. We're not generally talking about a huge difference here.

Maybe someone can correct me, but if your beer is attenuating fully then whatever aeration method you are currently using is working fine.

Maybe someone can correct me, but if your beer is attenuating fully then whatever aeration method you are currently using is working fine.

Technically you could have complete attenuation and still get undesirable flavors from your yeast. There are many variables when it comes to fermentation. Most people strive for a good amount of health yeast, plenty of O2, and good temp control.

On the other hand, there are some styles that work best with more unusual fermentation parameters.

One sign of underpitching is having the fermentation take considerably longer to reach FG, or not reaching it at all. Some strains will continue to chug slowly (depending on the temp) and others seem inclined to give up more easily.

The way I look at it, the aquarium pump is a fair amount cheaper and you can just let it do its thing for 20ish minutes while you're either reydrating dried yeast or cleaning up from your brew day. But, like all things brewing - to each, his own. I'd rather spend the $50 on a kit or ingredients than some equipment that does more or less the same thing as other equipment I have. That being said, if I didn't have any aeration stuff, I MIGHT go straight to the O2 setup, but I was given my aeration/aquarium stuff as a hand me down.

Wow, that's a great price. I'd definitely go this route if getting into O2 equipment for the first time.

I couldnt pass on it. Had the stone and access to an O2 tank. My buddy broight his over and we tried it out. the time savings alone had me sold. Then he showed me where he picked his up and it seemed like a good deal.

Latest posts

Back